Farm accident kills 3 yr old child

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute 23":2lih3w8g said:
There was not enough info give to start making assumptions about the mother or the situation.
Average Texan blames the 3 yr old for not carrying, so he could have defended himself from 5 yr old brother.

This modern generation of 3 year olds are just totally useless. Wanting their Mommas to wipe their noses and
coddle 'em. In my day we 3 year olds picked the front 20 clean before breakfast and if the back 40 wasn't done
by night fall no bottle for you, even if daddy got his..

I'm sorry but I can not condemn this woman from that little bit of info. I may be biased because all I can picture is my mom trying to do the job of a man and a mom with my brother and I in tow. I think most real farm and ranch mom's know the feeling. I admire my mom and the other moms out there doing the best they can.

Did she bite off more than she could chew? Maybe... but that's better than the countless kids that get killed every day from parents who don't give 2 chits about them. I see a lady trying to better her kids, teach the work ethic, pride, how to do things.

I've said my peace. I pray none of yall "holier than thou" parents are ever in this situation.

... and yes at 5yrs old I was driving trucks and tractors feeding hay. At 8yrs old I was working on a work over rig (Google that if you think a skid steer is bad) for my family... And I wouldnt have it any other way.

Son of Butch":3toeu2w7 said:
Brute 23":3toeu2w7 said:
No, its not uncommon for a 5 year old to do things of that nature. The little guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time. Its just part of life, sad things happen. He just as easily could have been killed in a car accident on the way to the grocery store. Its not always some one fault.
Actually it almost always is. But I guess Texans just don't believe in taking personal responsibility.

A parent's number one responsibility is care and protection of their children, not the development of a 3 year old's
skill to pick cotton or rocks. As much as my heart goes out to her, this mother failed miserably on multiple counts.
a parents number one responsibility may be the care and protection of their children! but the development of a good work ethic is a close second! and that starts young! and a skid steer is a easy piece of equipment to operate! and out in a field picking rocks is a great place to start! but not around such a small child

wbvs58":3toeu2w7 said:
I don't think the issue is with the 5 yr old driving the skidsteer rightly or wrongly but if you do choose to let them operate it and I am one that would probably let my grandson do it then you must ensure that they do it in a safe environment for themselves and anyone around. The 3yr old should not have been within cooee distance of the machine.

Ken
you got that right there is nothing wrong with a 5 y/o driving a skid steer but he shouldn't have been driving around someone that was unable to get out of the way quickly

Brute 23":300zj56s said:
No, its not uncommon for a 5 year old to do things of that nature.
To hit and kill 3 yr old with machinery by 5 yr old is common in Texas?

The little guy was in the wrong place at the wrong time.
Blame the 3 yr old... yup he shoulda knowed better.

Its just part of life, sad things happen.
Clever word play on... Shxt happens... how very elegant.

He just as easily could have been killed in a car accident on the way to the grocery store.
Or killed playing in the street after arriving at the grocery store. (Certainly no fault in either case.)

Its not always some one fault.
Really!?! 3 year old being killed not always someone's fault? ... again blame the 3 yr old.
I hadn't considered the possibility of suicide.... I guess If you say so.
r.i.p. little fellow r.i.p.
:(

Rafter S":vemroj24 said:
There isn't a 5-year old anywhere in the world that should be allowed to operate a skid steer.
he should not have been operating it near a three-year old! But a skid steer is very easy to operate and the middle of a field is a very safe place to do it (not with a three-year year old around but under most circumstances) with this very unfortunate situation I'm sure it will probably change how a skid steer is used around there. But if it wasn't for this the kid would probably be the best skid steer operator around by the time he was 8

ez14.":kbx7huy6 said:
a skid steer is very easy to operate
Beyond ridiculous. It would be much nearer the truth to say it's very easy for the skid steer operator to get theirself killed while operating one. I don't know about the rest of the skid steers in the world but the one I have has 10 different ways of movement when using the grapple attachment. Left, right, forward, backward, up, down, tilt forward, tilt backward, open, close. No one should be anywhere near a skid steer when its working. They drop things, stuff falls off, they lurch unexpectedly left, right, forward and backward, the grapple can get overloaded and cause the whole machine to fall forward. Especially, nobody should be behind a skid steer when it's running, they are constantly changing direction and the driver doesn't know and can't see what's walked up behind them. Skid steers are a long, long way from being easy or safe to operate.

Lots of folks on here are plenty quick to bash city parents for not adequately supervising/tending their children. I can't support a double standard/hypocrisy, even though I sure do feel for that mother. And the 5 yo. Wouldn't wish that pain on anyone.

No debate: the facts speak louder than anyone. Would the mother let the 5 year old run the skid steer if by some miracle she had this day to live again?

It's a tragic thing, can't say accident, it was careless and reckless. The thing I find interesting, as I found before on Internet forums, is the extreme difference of opinion on certain things. I found plenty of links by a simple google, no real info other than what we know. Again, a young child does not belong driving a skid steer. I would think child services have already pounded on moms door and will decide if it was a thoughtless reckless act that killed her other son. Kindergarten not skid steer operator.

devastating. I just had a farm accident..its not easy to judge not knowing details but I wouldn't let my 5 yr old run a skid. but most wouldn't let their 10 yr old swing gates in a cow pen either. or run 60 mph quads thru the woods. its common for us

im sure at the time she thought things were safe. kids fall in the pool and drown...its not always someones fault

ga.prime":ix3isum2 said:
ez14.":ix3isum2 said:
a skid steer is very easy to operate
Beyond ridiculous. It would be much nearer the truth to say it's very easy for the skid steer operator to get theirself killed while operating one. I don't know about the rest of the skid steers in the world but the one I have has 10 different ways of movement when using the grapple attachment. Left, right, forward, backward, up, down, tilt forward, tilt backward, open, close. No one should be anywhere near a skid steer when its working. They drop things, stuff falls off, they lurch unexpectedly left, right, forward and backward, the grapple can get overloaded and cause the whole machine to fall forward. Especially, nobody should be behind a skid steer when it's running, they are constantly changing direction and the driver doesn't know and can't see what's walked up behind them. Skid steers are a long, long way from being easy or safe to operate.
i dont really know but id be willing to bet he wasn't using a grapple. probably a bucket driving slow behind mom while she throws rocks in. he probably didn't have to lift lower or tilt the bucket just follow mom (again im just guessing) push the handles forward pull the handles back that's pretty dang easy! and a lot nicer then putting a tractor in 1st gear and letting it drive behind you they never stay straight you are constantly having to jump on and turn it back to where you want to go

I don't want to second guess Mom. It's a terrible thing, that will be very hard or impossible to live with.

With that said, operating a skid steer is probably the safest thing there is to start a kid on. He's not gonna fall off and run over himself, would have to screw up real bad to turn it over on flat ground. I don't see what the big tiff is about a kid learning how to do something? You guys getting all bent never have a comment about young people not having skills, or not wanting to learn, or being lazy snowflakes? Do we need to go back and look? Lighten up Francis', and teach your kids how to do something.

I didn't start my operating on a lawn mower. I started on an Ford Ferguson 30, with the small ass fenders, and had to stand up on the clutch to mash it down, at about 8 yo, fiddling around with it in an open field. My four wheeler. Graduated to full field work on an Oliver 77 at ten yo, with the tiny ass fenders and tricycle front end. Papaw would stand on the drawbar with his foot up on the clutch, me in the seat. I give it a little gas, he'd let out on it and step away. I'd throw the gas to it. At lunch or quitting time, or anytime I needed to sure enough stop, I'd put it at idle and choke it down. Couldn't clutch it, too stiff, and I couldn't get up on the pedal with my weight like I could the 30. Dangerous, yes. But preparation and conditions are very important to control the best you can. Nobody will convince me that my Papaw ever had anything but my best interest in mind, my whole life. But, I understand that I could still be dead. lol

wow, sad deal all around.. I really don't think I"d be letting a kid that young drive a skid steer.. as has been said before, they're easy to operate, but jumpy and dangerous... I"m not in a position to blame anyone.

I would venture to say most that are throwing a hissy fit were not raised on a working farm in the 40's 50's 60's 70' or even early 80's . Its far more common than you think and more dangerous for the adult that has to climb on the moving tractor to stop or clutch it.

Ones I have ran are slow and soggy as hell when at idle. WAO, they are jumpy.

Mom is gonna have a hard time I bet. I hate it for her. All involved.

Latest posts