Farewell my old Friend...

Help Support CattleToday:

TN Cattle Man

Reaction score
Miss Ellie Mae came into this world on December 12th, 1998. She was a gorgeous little female Southern Yellow Lab and I knew the moment I spotted her in the litter that this was the dog for me. From the moment I brought Ellie home, we were inseparable... She would ride in the tractor with me all day and never want to leave my side. Watching a dog grow up is one of life's greater joys... especially one that is so smart and always wanting to please.

Miss Ellie Mae was one of the best labs that I have ever hunted with as well. It didn't matter if you were chasing quail through some of the thick briers of Georgia, or hunting pheasants in the wide open corn fields of Kansas... that dog would hunt!

It was tough for me when Ellie got to the point that she could no longer hunt due to her age and physical limitations... About 3 years ago a good friend of mine brought some quail out the the farm so we could work his dogs. I thought it would be great to have Miss Ellie come out and join us because even though her physical condition limited her, in her mind she always thought she could still hunt. For a brief period of time, I got to experience Ellie having the time of her life, and trust me, she still had it in her! Albeit, she was wore out after 30 minutes, it made my heart glad to see her filled with so much joy.

The last year has not been kind to Ellie... her hips were going, she was completely deaf, yet she never failed to meet me in the driveway with that look of pure joy as she was so excited to see me again. I knew deep down that Ellie hated to be left behind at the house when we went out to work on the farm, but she got to the point where she couldn't even get in the truck or Gator any more without being lifted. I would still take her with me if I was just out cruising around the farm, and she loved nothing more then just being with me.

Today was a tough day for me... I knew the day was coming, but I just didn't want to think about it. Ellie had quit eating and her breathing was getting pretty labored the last couple of days. This morning, she wouldn't even get up and I noticed that she was drooling pretty excessively. I immediately took her to our farm vet and he gave me the bad news... Ellie's heart was failing and he didn't expect her to live another day or so. I didn't want to see her suffer and I made the decision to euthanize her right there. I held on to her and told her how much I loved her while she gently slipped away.

All of the memories came flooding back to me this afternoon when I was baling hay and I'm not ashamed to admit that I had to stop the tractor and just sit there and weep.

Miss Ellie was truly a family dog, and my wife and kids are taking the news pretty hard as well.

Farewell my Good and Faithful Friend... Farewell!

Miss Ellie Mae
12/12/98 - 5/11/15

(I wish I was on my office computer where I have several pictures of Ellie, but I don't have any to post on my home laptop)

That one brought more than a tear. I have an old redbone getting near that station in life. Thanks for sharing, and all I can, my condolences.

Heart felt condolences from me. Some animals, we just connect with, and it hurts when they go. I'm sure she would want you to be happy. Hard as it is, you owe it to here.

Long time ago, when I first joined the forum, a wrote about losing a horse. I never will forget how releasing it was to type that. I guess it just helps to tell people that understand.

Bigfoot":qigp6kgw said:
Heart felt condolences from me. Some animals, we just connect with, and it hurts when they go. I'm sure she would want you to be happy. Hard as it is, you owe it to here.

Long time ago, when I first joined the forum, a wrote about losing a horse. I never will forget how releasing it was to type that. I guess it just helps to tell people that understand.
You are so right Troy... the hardest thing was thinking just what to say about Ellie. I could write a book with all the stories and good times that we shared over the years. I know she is better off right now and just grateful for the times that we shared together.

Well said. Very sorry for your loss . They take a special place in our heart, and leave a void when they're gone. That's really tough to make that decision, but you did the right thing for her. You definitely have a lot of us that feel your pain. I thank the Lord for my memories of my old friends that have passed on over the years.

It saddens me and at the same time heartens me that a beloved pet dies. The sadness is the emptiness that its passing brings. But I'm heartened by the knowledge that at least one person has had such a positive experience from exposure to a wonderful animal.
When someone posts about the death I thinnk back and remember all of the good times I have had through the years with different animals. Makes me melancholy for some of them.

I am so sorry for your loss of Ellie May.
I cried when I read your post. Not only for you, but for all of our pets that we have had to say good bye to. It is absolutely heart breaking to loose them.
She sure lived a long and full life in your care. And I hope that you will find comfort in knowing that you will be reunited again someday. :heart:

Know how you're feeling, just lost one recently as well. Didn't figure I would be so torn up about a dog, but if they live long enough they sure can work there way into our hearts. They bring really great memories, now hoping you will find another and start making more.

Almost 17 years with a Lab is near a miracle. She must have been very special. I have been where you are and it hurts but the pain is nothing compared to all those years of love and companionship............condolences.

4 years ago on Good Friday, I put Copper, my 17yr old chocolate lab, down. Much like you described. It's been 4 years (and I've had 2 children in the meantime), and I didn't actually tear up when I read this, but it was close.

I'm finally ready to get another dog. my condolences.

Again... thank you for all the kind comments. Even though most of us have never met face-to-face, what a great group of people here on the boards. I hope some day to meet some of you!!

So sorry to read about Ellie. Tears came to my eyes as I read the beautiful obituary.It really hurts to lose a pet. Writing this should help you feel better. You have a lot of good memories to help comfort you. Hope you will share a picture of her.

So sorry to read about Ellie. Tears came to my eyes as I read the beautiful obituary.It really hurts to lose a pet. Writing this should help you feel better. You have a lot of good memories to help comfort you. Hope you will share a picture of her.

Latest posts