Family Favorite

Help Support CattleToday:

I luv herfrds

Reaction score
This is both of my great-grandmothers recipe. We would have it at least once a month. The next few days I would eat this for breakfast. I have no idea of how to spell it, but it is goood. :D

4lbs hamburger
1 head of cabbage
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 onions, diced
raw bread dough

Chop up the cabbage into 1/2" pieces and boil til soft, then drain. Set aside.
Brown hamburger with garlic and onions. Season with salt and pepper. Add cabbage and mix together well.

My Mom would buy a package of frozen bread dough, I think there was 4 loaves in the bag. She would thaw it out and use that. I like to make my own. Double my recipe.

2c. scalded milk
4T. butter flavored shortening
4T. sugar
2t. salt
Scald the milk in a sauce pan, remove the pan from heat and add the rest of the ingredients above.

In a large bowl combine 1 pkg yeast (2 1/4t), 1T sugar and 1/2c. warm water.
Add milk mixture when it is cooled to luke warm. Add 4c. flour mix together well. Add enough flour to make a slightly stick dough. Let rise to double in size, punch down.

Heat 1/2" of oil or shortening in a large electric skillet to 350 degrees.
Grab a handful of dough. Flatten it into a circle about 6" across, add about 1/2c of the meat mixture to the center. Bring up the edges and pinch them together very well. Continue this til all the meat and dough are used up. Place this one at a time in the hot oil seam side down. Fry for about 4-5 minutes or til that side is golden brown, flip over and cook other side. Remove to a plate covered with paper towel's. As you cook the rest put the first ones in a baking dish and put in a warm oven to keep them hot.
You can add cheese to these when you stuff them, but I never liked it that way.

I made these this weekend and just had to share it. :D

Latest posts