Family dairy Farm?

Help Support CattleToday:

Do you think the family dairy farm will be extinct in 10 years?

• Yes

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 5 50.0%

• Total voters
Nope. There will alwasy be a few stalwarts that will keep going. I think that as more and more reegulations for CAFOs are put in place that there will be a decrease in the additions of the large 1000 plus cow dairys.

No, but it is getting harder to keep one going. My grandma always said that the only day the family farm makes money is the day it's sold. Talked with my brother back in Pennsylvania a while back and he said that the price per 100wt of milk is today, after considering adjustment for inflation, the same price we got back in 1962. Don't know if'n it's fact or not, but it's what neighbors farmers are telling him.

if you add inflation to the price of milk it hasnt gone up at all.the other expeneses have gone up 300%.the milk price has stayed the same.by all rights today the milk price floor should be set at $30/cwt.then the dairyman might could eat.the family dairies are the 1s growing into the mega dairies of today.very few mega dairies are owned by companies.heres how you get tobe a mega dairy.my dad started our dairy with 80 cows 36yrs ago.now lets assume we chose to grow by the normal 15% pre year for 36yrs.that would put us a family dairy milking 14000 cows after 36yrs.so to me the family dairies are 90% of the mega dairies.because the kids join the family .then the grandkids join.an the whole thing keeps growing.an yes im a hardcore ex dairyman.