False Heat

Help Support CattleToday:

calfbuyer

Reaction score
I have an 8 mo. bred cow that I moved with another group of cows and a bull, she immediately started riding the other cows and the bull. She wouldn't stand for the bull but he was trying to breed her (like she was just starting heat and not quite ready.) She is bellied down and even starting to bag up a little. We sleeved all of our cows on July 4th and she was for sure bred then about 6 mos. What the he11?

Hormones making her do funny things. Rigt before this last one calved, she was sniffing the air, other cows all staring at her, and a yearling went up to the dog for the first time looking it over thinking it was maybe a calf. Sniffing hard the whole time.
They all act funny based off pheromones that we have no idea about

Saw a "bred" cow once riding and standing to be ridden in the bred cow pen. Told the farm owner and was told I was "nuts" as she was checked and was bred.It turned out that her calf had died and mummified inside, and her hormones whacked out on her.
Have seen animals that were close to calving start acting weird like that though, so like Hooknline said her hormones are probably shifting due to the upcoming calving, and probably nothing wrong with the calf either, but I would start watching her as she probably is getting ready to drop her calf pretty soon.
Nite Hawk

Grandson was showing his cow/calf at the fair this year, and she was trying to jump several different females in her classes. She was 3 months bred at the time. We often have one of the more 'boss' cows act like this at shows, or when groups of cows are mixed.

Latest posts