Fall Planting

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd

Reaction score
Well we finally had a one and one half inch rain. I plowed the garden up and planted all of the left over seeds for the fall, will wait and see what happens.

Wow, that must be great to have a summer garden and then a fall garden. What did you plant, if you don't mind my asking? Our growing season is too short for a lot things, even in the summer - I can't imagine having a fall garden, too.

I have been kicking myself for not planting the fall garden yesterday. It started raining about 5 pm yesterday real slow and stopped about 6 this pm. We are in real good condition for this time of year for garden and fall pastures. It has been a excepitonal good year for us.

Why can't you plant it tomorrow, or the next day? The rain should make for some ideal conditions to plant it under, provided the ground isn't so wet that the seed would rot.

My fall gardens are always better than the summer ones. I plant anything I would plant in spring. Gardens peter out around here around mid July, so you can start over from there. I still have peas growing from Spring, and tomatoes, but I planted squash, cucumbers and cantaloupe. Cukes do better in Fall here. I can't ever seem to grow them very well in spring. The tomatoes will look half dead all summer and the glorify in the fall. I have tomatoes up till frost. Less work in a fall garden, as well. Too hot in summer.

msscamp":34ju1gj8 said:
Why can't you plant it tomorrow, or the next day? The rain should make for some ideal conditions to plant it under, provided the ground isn't so wet that the seed would rot.

We got over 5 inches of rain Friday night, Saturday and Sunday the garden is so muddy the dog will not walk through it. Will have to wait for it to dry out. If I would have gotten planted would be up in short order. Not complaining I have seen many years at this time everything would be brown as winter and so hot the lizards were looking forward for winter.

Lammie":1azpfbw8 said:
My fall gardens are always better than the summer ones. I plant anything I would plant in spring. Gardens peter out around here around mid July, so you can start over from there. I still have peas growing from Spring, and tomatoes, but I planted squash, cucumbers and cantaloupe. Cukes do better in Fall here. I can't ever seem to grow them very well in spring. The tomatoes will look half dead all summer and the glorify in the fall. I have tomatoes up till frost. Less work in a fall garden, as well. Too hot in summer.

Tastes better too - don't you think?

hillrancher":2eade8l1 said:
msscamp":2eade8l1 said:

We got over 5 inches of rain Friday night, Saturday and Sunday the garden is so muddy the dog will not walk through it. Will have to wait for it to dry out. If I would have gotten planted would be up in short order. Not complaining I have seen many years at this time everything would be brown as winter and so hot the lizards were looking forward for winter.

I see. 5" of rain would definitely put a damper on planting a garden. I cannot begin to imagine what 5" of rain at one time would be like - that would be 1/2 of our average yearly rainfall, and it simply does not happen in my area. In all honesty, I would not want it to either, the results would not be pretty! :shock:

You folks crack me up with fall gardens. I just finished checking the temp forecast for tonight and we could actually freeze before morning.

The last 3 years we have not froze until late Sept but we have had a cold rain since friday night and now if it clears before morning I will lose ANOTHER 42 tomato plants and 60 peppers plus eggplant squash punkins and cukes. The only darned thing that won't freeze is the beets, kale and onions.

What a weird year. We didn't have a drop of rain for over a month and now over 2in in 3 days, and cold as a well diggers button.

I finished planting mine last week. Peas are already up and smiling. Beans have sprouted but haven't punched the dirt yet. Gotta wait till Sept 10 to plant my turnips and mustard. Looks like Fay is going to bring us some more rain. I'm so glad I spent my time planting a garder rather than cutting hay as it has rained every day since. Maybe my luck is changing.

Jogeephus":3daocbzf said:
I finished planting mine last week. Peas are already up and smiling. Beans have sprouted but haven't punched the dirt yet. Gotta wait till Sept 10 to plant my turnips and mustard. Looks like Fay is going to bring us some more rain. I'm so glad I spent my time planting a garder rather than cutting hay as it has rained every day since. Maybe my luck is changing.

Good for you on the hay, we are not so fortunate. Knocked down 20 acres of hay last Wed and just started to bale it when the knotter on the baler went berserk, then it rained for 2 straight days. So, this afternoon I will roll the hay again and try to bale tomorrow.

Lucked out on the garden, I got up at 2 am to see how cold it was, and it was down to 39. Never got any lower, so maybe there will be maters in the mountains after all. Most of my garden is seed from Italy and this AM I bet most of those plants would like to move back to Italy. Especially the Eggplant and peppers.

Sorry about your hay 3way, maybe it will dry for you. Looks like Fay is coming our way. Not sure what side we will be on though. I could use some more rain.

Got the fall garden in this weekend. Planted potatoes, beans, onions, cabbage, radishes, lettuce and ect. Most fall gardens are better than spring. Every thing more crisp.

Latest posts