Early planting question

Help Support CattleToday:

Hook

Reaction score
A small one light town in central florida
Let's say our average last frost is feb 12th. Let's also say that I'm an inpatient man :shock: and want to get some seeds in the ground that aren't expected to germinate until after the last average frost.
Is that a plan for failure or just have a back up plan of covering the seedlings if there is a late frost?
All hypothetical of course

Planning for failure, IME. Depends what the seeds are.

I have a large sunny window set aside for just this reason... not just weather, I suspect slugs get nearly all seeds I try putting directly in the ground.
Some parts of your garden might not frost - I don't mean the bits where it clears early because the sun hits it, I mean sheltered areas where the frost doesn't settle.

Taters have been in for a week.
Rego, the area where the garden is won't see frost unless we get down to near 35. And then it will burn off as soon as the sun gets up. So far the only frost has been on the elevated things. Roofs, cars Etc. The grass never even browned out

Being a impatient man i always plant early , and very often i have to replant that being said my best garden ever was planted 3 weeks before average last frost . that includes transplants i believe i had to cover plants a couple of nights but a mild early spring let garden get up early and beat the summer heat. Its a gamble i almost always take, replanting is not so bad.

The only thing I direct sow early is Corn. I try to plant Corn mid-late Feb. Planting this early allows be to get my Corn crop over with and still time to plant something else before the Summer heat sets in. If I get a late frost, then I'm still early enough that I can replant as needed. As alot of people down here say: "Seeds are cheap, plant early".

Is the soil warm enough for germination? Seeds put in ground that is otherwise suitable for germination will rot within a week or two if the soil temp is too cold. I wouldn't be afraid to go ahead and plant snap beans, maybe take a chance on some corn, potatoes you already said will work, but most things I'd probably wait at least until the next full moon or a prolonged warm spell, whichever you prefer. I really don't like having to plant things twice or shield from frost.

That's warm enough for about anything. Been staying cold as the dickens here. I'll probably plant potatoes and snap beans next week.

Latest posts