Fall or spring calves

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Ok so here's a question that's been itchin in the back of my mind for a while now. What are the advantages/disadvantages/differences between spring calving and fall or what I've heard some call late summer calving. Spring calving coming in early February to mid March. and Fall calves if I have the timing right coming Mid August to the end of September.

To my way of thinking spring calves in more mild climates would be the way to go, since it gives you an entire season to let them put the weight on and determine which are keepers and which are culls. on the flip side in climates where there's still snow on the ground during this time, I can also see the advantages of having fall calves that have had a chance to 'grow up' a bit before winter sets.

That being said are there any other differences other than time between marketability and actual market weight?

Any input is welcome Thanks in advance

JimmyB

Markets in the spring seem to be the best prices. If you can calve them to where you sell in a spring market, you fetch the most nickels. That is my opinion.

That said, I calve mine year round. It is a farily mild season here and I can plant some winter forage to rotate them on and off of. You'll hear a bunch of negatives from folks on this board about not having a calving season, and that's okay too. It is all I can do to keep my heifers from getting bred too young by a neighbor's angus bull. Better to breed them to what I want them bred to.

I've got some cows calving every 10 1/2 to 11 months and holding their own wonderfully.

Buy low and sell high has always been the best advice anyone gave me. Lately I have been able to hold out selling until the market is good.

it all depends on where you are and how you want to manage and market your cows
typically in my area July will usually be the highest prices
all of the spring calves here Jan thru April will flood the market from sept til november so you usually have decreased prices
I like fall calving because of the weather being milder alot of guys upnorth don't want fall calves because they have to put to much feed in a cow with a calf when they are feeding for 5 -6 months plus small calves going into harsh winter is hard on them

Like others have said it depends on where you are. My reasons are simply tied to the market. On average calves will be 8-10% higher in the spring versus sept-Nov because of supply and demand. However a fall calving herd will take more feed to winter than spring calving because the calf is on milk thru the entire feeding period. Also the calves will tend to be slightly smaller due to harsher conditions thru their growth period. It takes some good management to really make it pay off. It can pay off though.

I prefer for my commercial cattle to calve Feb - March. It takes less feed for the cows to raise the calves...

Our purebred herd, I like them to calve August - October.
Simply because we sell the majority of our bulls in February and March. This makes them long yearlings and they sell good for us!!!