Fall mineral consumption ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Its not unusual for it to fall off in spring and fall as this is when moisture is typically higher and grass is more lush and it too has a higher moisture content. Should be highest in summertime.

cattle will only consume salt and minerals on an as needed basis.ive seen a sack of minerals last months.and ive also seen a sack dissappear in days.we keep out 150lbs minerals and 150lbs salt most times.

Mine are not always consistent either. But normally, over a months time, it works out. I was concerned here a couple weeks ago that something was going on there, but they started hitting it again, and the months average worked out like it has the last few months.

Mine have been very, very light in the mineral for a whole month. Do most of you keep salt out with the mineral? Do you think the salt cuts down on the mineral consumption?

Pointer1160":21coendw said:
Mine have been very, very light in the mineral for a whole month. Do most of you keep salt out with the mineral? Do you think the salt cuts down on the mineral consumption?
Do what your mineral recommends. We feed Viraferm Conceptaid and they recommend putting out loose salt along side the mineral since salt is not used as a limiter in the mineral (there is none). If your mineral already has salt in it, you do not want to put out more salt because they will not eat the recommended amount of mineral.
It is like buying dog food. Some people like the cheaper stuff because it costs less, but if you look on the label the cheaper stuff has more fillers (like ash) so the dogs eat more to get the amount they need. The more expensive dog food has better ingredients, and less fillers so they eat less of it and there is less stool. Mineral is the same, the cheaper brands use salt as a limiter, but you are paying top dollar for that salt. The old adage of "you get what you pay for" works in this case to. :tiphat:

Typically mineral consumtion goes up in late fall when mature grass loses its "punch". I wouldn't short cattle on mineral this time of year.

Good nutrition helps calves build natural immunity to face the stresses of weaning and adverse weather conditons.

Seems weaning time always brings either too much dust, too much mud, cold wet rain or snow, too much wild swings in day and night temperatures, etc.

Frost here the last couple mornings, but I'm still running the AC in the tractor during the day :roll:

We put out Purina mineral tubs with a trace mineral salt black in/on top of the tub. I also put out loose "90" selenium mineral salt in a separate feeder.

Latest posts