fall heifer calf

Help Support CattleToday:

JHH

Reaction score
fall heifer calf keeper or not.

downsized951112121617-1.jpg

Are you saying she is born THIS fall - or she's a yearling. I would question wether she was big enough is she's a yearling. I just bred & weighed an Oct fall yearling, she weighed 950#. different breed, but still - pretty much all breeds are about the same size any more.
Edit - if she's a fall CALF - she is huge!

Jeanne - Simme Valley":2xnqrcfp said:
Are you saying she is born THIS fall - or she's a yearling. I would question wether she was big enough is she's a yearling. I just bred & weighed an Oct fall yearling, she weighed 950#. different breed, but still - pretty much all breeds are about the same size any more.

Jeanne she is a this yrs fall calf born last of sept. Yea she is outgrowing everthing on the place. I think she is going to be a keeper.

JHH":1e0mepzg said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1e0mepzg said:

Jeanne she is a this yrs fall calf born last of sept. Yea she is outgrowing everthing on the place. I think she is going to be a keeper.

Sometimes I swear our fall and winter calves grow better than our sporting and summer calves. I think they eat way better when it's cooler out.

JHH":2pznpcnt said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":2pznpcnt said:

Hopefully she isn't a hard keeper when she get bigger! Kept two heifers I though they were good because of their large size when they were calves.....turns out that both ended up as 1,500lbs cows :shock:

Taurus":1ghmin32 said:
JHH":1ghmin32 said:
Jeanne - Simme Valley":1ghmin32 said:

Hopefully she isn't a hard keeper when she get bigger! Kept two heifers I though they were good because of their large size when they were calves.....turns out that both ended up as 1,500lbs cows :shock:

A lot of our mature cows are 1,500+ the biggest ever culled was 2005.
Fortunately for us, they really don't eat that much (shockingly, and we know how much they eat when they have their turn in the barn.) And big beef cull cows up here fetch really nice ¢/lb. You would think it would be the opposite.

Latest posts