Fall forage

Help Support CattleToday:

Best get some winter grazing growing in that window box before they start eating the house. :lol:

Those Acorns are toxic to cattle as I lost a nice heifer that stood under a big white oak tree and just kelp eating them. I found her in bad shape and she did not make it. I hope you get some rain before long.

My cows been eating white and red oak acorns for years, and I mean a crap load of the big white oak acorns. Never seen any ill effects from it at all.

A couple of neighbors say that the best grass is the grass growing on the edge of the road. Of course this is a open range area. You be careful driving especially at night. Black cows at night.......

We have alot of problems with acorns here too. You will see an animal go through the sale and know it has been in acorns. The tannins are toxic to cattle, and it seems that there are some breeds that are more affected by it. I think we have lost one or 2 over the years. They get moved out of any areas with alot of oak trees until after a couple of freezes.

One reason that it might not be such a big problem for you greybeard, is all the hogs down there. The cattle are probably not getting a toxic amount with the hogs foraging for the acorns. And acorn fed pork is very tasty. Old timers here in the mountains used to run their hogs in the oak forests to glean the acorns for free feed for the hogs and to give it that sweeter taste.

We don't have open range like out west, but there have been more than one case of the cattle getting out and grazing the sides of the roads. Also the cotton pickin deer along the sides of the roads. Have seen 3 deer hit in the last week here. Bucks are coming in rut, does in heat, they are traveling and not looking before they cross the road. Had one run out in front of me and I hit it; not going very fast, it rolled across the road, into the ditch, jumped up and ran off. At least it didn't tear up my truck this time.

I haven't seen a hog on my place in several years. Occassionally see a waller but no live hogs and rarely ever see any tore up grass anymore.
The hog hunters and outlaw deer hunters just up the road from me keep em all hunted out here lately.
I'm old enough to remember when this county was still open range and it does make me wonder how all those hundreds & hundreds of head of cattle didn't kill themselves gorging on acorns in the national forest.
I believe this county passed their stock law in '69 or '70. It was still OR when I went overseas the 1st time but was not when I returned from Vn in '71.

Acorn Poisoning--as I have lost cattle do to buckeyes also. I had a cow last year to get in bad shape from buckeyes, but she made it. It took her a while to recover. That is one reason I don't want the squirrels killed as they make short work of the acorns and buckeyes.

https://www.thecattlesite.com/diseaseinfo/195/acorn-poisoning/

Have heard of acorn poisoning but we don't have any of those in our fields, yards full of them though. We got plenty of black walnuts and coffee bean trees in the pastures. We have some hedge apples in the fence row of one side. We haven't had any issues but have heard somebody say that cows can sometimes get choked on a hedge ball if they try to eat it.
It's been a fairly regular occurrence lately to find a herd of little miniature pigs eating acorns in the church yard. The running joke is one of these days we gonna have a ham breakfast on a Sunday morning. I told them we may have to have whole hog roast cause the hams won't be very big.

jltrent said:
Those Acorns are toxic to cattle as I lost a nice heifer that stood under a big white oak tree and just kelp eating them. I found her in bad shape and she did not make it. I hope you get some rain before long.
We've had good rain the past few weeks.
We've got oats up gates are still closed. But Those cattle have plenty of grazing. The point was they eat what they want. Bermuda grass can be toxic to cattle to.

callmefence said:
jltrent said:
We've had good rain the past few weeks.
We've got oats up gates are still closed. But Those cattle have plenty of grazing. The point was they eat what they want. Bermuda grass can be toxic to cattle to.
Just missed the point. Glad your cattle can eat what they want and plenty more available with a gate opened.

farmerjan said:
We have alot of problems with acorns here too. You will see an animal go through the sale and know it has been in acorns. The tannins are toxic to cattle, and it seems that there are some breeds that are more affected by it. I think we have lost one or 2 over the years. They get moved out of any areas with alot of oak trees until after a couple of freezes.

One reason that it might not be such a big problem for you greybeard, is all the hogs down there. The cattle are probably not getting a toxic amount with the hogs foraging for the acorns. And acorn fed pork is very tasty. Old timers here in the mountains used to run their hogs in the oak forests to glean the acorns for free feed for the hogs and to give it that sweeter taste.

We don't have open range like out west, but there have been more than one case of the cattle getting out and grazing the sides of the roads. Also the cotton pickin deer along the sides of the roads. Have seen 3 deer hit in the last week here. Bucks are coming in rut, does in heat, they are traveling and not looking before they cross the road. Had one run out in front of me and I hit it; not going very fast, it rolled across the road, into the ditch, jumped up and ran off. At least it didn't tear up my truck this time.

Around here the only people who worry over acorns are the folks who ain't from here. In fact people look at them as a food source for stock.

It's been that way long before the hogs where common. Maybe it's the extra ear.?

Yeah, it might be the extra ear. I have heard that cattle with brahma influence do not seem to have as much problem. I still think alot of it is whether they gorge themselves on them or not. I have some I have seen eat some acorns, but others seem to just sit there and eat and eat. Years ago, with the free ranges, the cattle did not get confined to a certain area and maybe they ate some but it was balanced with everything else they ate.
Didn't realize that you didn't have alot of hogs in that area greybeard.

Latest posts