Fall cowherd pictures - Nov 10/06

Help Support CattleToday:

Aaron

Reaction score
Was home for the weekend and decided to take a few pics of the herd to post on ranchers and CT.

June calf that was well over 550 lbs when we purchased him at the end of October from an uncle. The calf is 1/2 Gelbvieh x 3/8 Red Angus and a 16th of Simmental and Hereford each. I helped pick out the Gelbvieh sire of this calf as a kid, and he is heading into his 10th breeding year. We are looking to use this guy on some of our mature cows next spring, as a terminal cross.
P1010002.jpg

Mid-April bull calf off of my old cow and our 6L bull that I decided to keep as a bull. Have pinched her calves before and regretted it.
P1010003.jpg

Couple of steers off of our 1H and 6L bulls.
p1010004.jpg

The apple of my eye, my RHF IGT Victor 103T heifer off of my GK Sportsman 41Y daughter.
P1010005.jpg

A steer and a heifer we are keeping for replacement.
P1010009.jpg

Our only coloured outcast in the herd. 7/8 Hereford, 1/8 Holstein.
P1010010.jpg

Simmental and Hereford steers.
P1010011.jpg

Another bright spot in the herd. A Square-D Fullback 615C daughter with her bull calf of off our JRLB 621 Chivas Y168 son. At a month and 1/2 I think he shows promise for a bull.

P1010012.jpg

Nother purebred heifer replacement.
P1010013.jpg

A steer and a heifer from our September '06 crop.
P1010014.jpg

5 year old bull that I sold as a 2 year old and bought back on Oct. 7th, after we lost our Chivas Y168 son the day before. Bull is a Feltons 517 great-grandson. I was always sold on the length in him. Fellow who bought him in '03 had alot of nice, long, growthy calves off of him.
P1010016.jpg

Our creek. Was bone dry before a little bit of snow melt added some pools of water. Been the worst drought here since 1936/37. Cattle are finally starting to look somewhat decent now that they are on second growth fields. All pastures were finished by the beginning of August.
P1010017.jpg

Some of the cowherd. GK Sportsman 41Y daughter in the foreground.
P1010001.jpg

A three year old heifer (AEK 2N) off our 6L bull. Actually, (now that I think about it)...she is a full sister to the bull in the 2nd picture from the top.
P1010002-1.jpg

One of my better young cows (AEK 5M) off of a Feltons 532 grandson.
P1010003-1.jpg

Just a random picture of some of the herd. Three of our best in front. Very fertile, productive cows. Cow in the center is a purebred and the oldest on the place at coming 12 years. Still has a full set of teeth, which surprised me.
p1010004-1.jpg

looks like you've got a good herd there, those are some stout looking calves, and very hairy. It look like its raining or sleeting in the pics

The apple of my eye, my RHF IGT Victor 103T heifer off of my GK Sportsman 41Y daughter.
Aaron - the "Apple" of your eye looks to me that she will make a terrific brood cow! You should have a "Bushel" of them!

DOC HARRIS

Thanks Doc. I hope to get more semen of Victor 103T in the coming years. I knew he was a good bull, but you just never know until that first calf of your own hits the ground. :D

Enjoyed viewing your cows from up "North." They appear to be hard working, no nonsense cattle. Several of them look hunched up from the cold. Hard to relate as we are basking in the 70's and 80's down south. However, We can relate to the drought as we appear to be coming out of a two year dry spell finally with a little help from El Nino. Hope the same is happening your way.

Yes, a few of them were hunched up that day, 'specially the fall calves. Wind was really strong and COLD! When I left the house, the batteries in the camera were at full power. After I took the last few photos of the mature cowherd, they were drained completely. When I finally got back, I warmed them up for 2 minutes in my palms and they were back to 100% again.

Not sure I could get used to that kind of cold. I remember going to a sale in Nebraska a couple of years ago and it was so cold my ball point pen froze up. Never thought about the camera batteries doing the same.

your not foolin anybody Aaron! we all know thats your new black hereford bull.

AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH herefords! :heart: My favorite!
( I too have a hereford- holstein and she was bred to a son
of Wideload. Her calf ought to be interesting! :nod:

Latest posts