Fall 2006 Horse Markets

Help Support CattleToday:

Running Arrow Bill

Reaction score
Just curious as to what anyone else feels is going on with the horse market. Prices up, down, about same? Easy, difficult to sell? Issues of horse auctions (not kill auctions)?

Prices & marketing issues for grade vs. registered horses? Trained or untrained horses?

Doesn't anyone have an opinion on my questions???

Or, have I posted a very "sensitive" set of questions that either people don't know about (or) are reluctant to comment on due to ??? reasons?

:D

Well I can tell you about the prices here -GRADE HORSES (COLTS) coming off the pasture born in april will sell from 10.00---75.00 most of them are off PMU LINES--( PREG. MARES URINE) MOST OF THE PRODUCERS RUN PRETTY GOOD STUDS .

CARL

Thursday night, registered 6 to 12 month old colts and fillies, $100 to $250. A good riding horse, nothing special, just average, good riding horse $400.

I've heard some lately about the killer market being shut down - where will horses go that are too old or weak for stupid people to care for. Will they be left to suffer until they die stoved up and in misery.

Those of us who sacrifice to care for our older horses don't see this as a problem, but myself I've seen some pretty sad cases.
If these horses hadn't been taken to market they would have suffered.

My opinion is the killer market has a purpose, If animal lovers don't like the disposal of animals which are over populated (much like dogs and cats which get dumped) then they have a responsiblity to purchase them and care for them.

there is such a wide gap in the price of horses, it is unbelievable!
At horse auctions, a good rideable horse will bring from $400 to $1300 . At a cattle sale a horse (good or bad) will bring 26cents to 55 cents per pound. Some good horse show up, but rarely.
Any horse that can do something,( win at barrells, compete at hunter jump, run down a race track, head or heel or calf rope,) now you are talking $2500 and up!
An old trader told me long ago, a horse aint worth much unless it can DO SOMETHING.
Folks today are willing to pay for immediate results, but not willing to put time in on creating a finished horse. They want their kid or themselves to start winning something now!
Just my opinion...based on what I've witnessed.

Latest posts