Facebook Banned Sale of Animals

Help Support CattleToday:

I am in many groups, and in fact sold my Upgrade yearling bull on one of the groups just this week. The ban is ONLY in the MARKETPLACE. Facebook recently added the market place, and that is where the ban can happen. When you post your animal for sale, you have the option of posting it in the market place. NEVER select that! Here is the lead information:

http://www.wideopenpets.com/facebook-ba ... r-results/

Fire Sweep Ranch":3l7nw19p said:
I am in many groups, and in fact sold my Upgrade yearling bull on one of the groups just this week. The ban is ONLY in the MARKETPLACE. Facebook recently added the market place, and that is where the ban can happen. When you post your animal for sale, you have the option of posting it in the market place. NEVER select that! Here is the lead information:

THANKS.... finally

Fire Sweep Ranch":kh57nbsm said:

So if I am reading into this article correctly, hopefully since my group admins changed the group to posting only instead of the "selling" option it may take them off the radar.

I dunno... My mother in law has what I would call a puppy mill and I really feel sorry for the little yapping bastards. Can't walk out her back door without them making enough noise to wake the dead.

BK9954":idhgc1dh said:
TexasBred":idhgc1dh said:
BK9954":idhgc1dh said:
Only thing I take to the auction are culls and steers. You only get beef price. You dont get too much premium for replacement heifers, replacement bulls or registered stock theere. Those places can be rigged. I sold a 1/2 jersey heifer for yesterday private for $2 a pound. More than any sale barn. Some people in the market are willing to pay more to buy private and talk with the rancher who raised the animal. Sold 15 registered 1 year olds for my neighbor for $1500 each in one buy. Nkt a single person called from craigslist. Facebook "was" a good tool
BK one thing I've learned over the years is that at sale barns animals bring just about what they're worth. You just have a lot of knowledgeable buyers as apposed to facebook or craigs list where you may be dealing with uninformed buyers which i guess can be a good thing for some sellers.
Sale barn to me is straight beef price because its a bigger gamble. You got people like me who only take culls to the auction and sell decent cattle private. I see it as a sin to take a perfectly good replacement heifer and have the meat packers buy her at beef price, cheaper then a steer.
You haul quality to the sale, a knowledgeable breeder will pay what she's worth and take her home.Junk will bring junk prices packers will bring packer price. The beauty of having multiple buyers bidding.

http://www.jordancattle.com/PDFs/specia ... l%20Ad.pdf

This is a commercial cattle sale with weekly commercial sales in San Saba and mason.
They also have special sales most any month.
Replacement female's, bulls , weaned calves.
Check out the archives on the special sales.
I think you'll be surprised.
Also these men are known and trusted. They will not take a animal in a special sale and represent as it is something it's not. Just because a hiefer looks good , don't make here a replacement. You gonna take weaned and backgrounded calves to a special sale. They don't know you, they come out and check your operation and your records.
Your welcome to run em through the commercial sale. But a special sale you better have more than talk and a Facebook page.

Also your cattle sale. You gotta check in 10 minutes. And you can run down the street to the bank and cash it. No worries.

callmefence":2slf6b61 said:
http://www.jordancattle.com/PDFs/specials/07-10-14%20Full%20Ad.pdf

This is a commercial cattle sale with weekly commercial sales in San Saba and mason.
Also these men are known and trusted. They will not take a animal in a special sale and represent as it is something it's not. Just because a hiefer looks good , don't make here a replacement. You gonna take weaned and backgrounded calves to a special sale. They don't know you, they come out and check your operation and your records.
Your welcome to run em through the commercial sale. But a special sale you better have more than talk and a Facebook page.

Also your cattle sale. You gotta check in 10 minutes. And you can run down the street to the bank and cash it. No worries.

We have a breeders sale the first Friday of every month at Dixie Livestock, and another whenever at Turner Co Livestock but no one checks anyone's operation out. I started out selling my heifers at those sales and around 10 - 15% over number one's is about the best that I could do. Your product is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And the guy's sitting on the front row order buying are trying to pay as little as possible.
I can't get the link to open, I'd be curious to see how we do here compared to there.

callmefence":3asyfbu1 said:

Thanks for the info. Auctions around here have special sales, a lot of them are for registered, for a guy like me who breeds all year long, sells one or 2 at a time, just not practical. Selling facebook and craigslist brings just as much or more. When the buyers come, I show them my operation. I am completely honest, work with intergety. I have to be able to look myself in the mirror and sleep ar night. I have met crooks on craigslist. They are everywhere. I will buy back anything I sell. I am one of the few guys on craigslist that will offer that. If I sold more abd ran more then 20 head an registered special sales might be worth it.

True Grit Farms":3xb6xmbu said:
callmefence":3xb6xmbu said:

We have a breeders sale the first Friday of every month at Dixie Livestock, and another whenever at Turner Co Livestock but no one checks anyone's operation out. I started out selling my heifers at those sales and around 10 - 15% over number one's is about the best that I could do. Your product is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it. And the guy's sitting on the front row order buying are trying to pay as little as possible.
I can't get the link to open, I'd be curious to see how we do here compared to there.

Think this will work.

http://www.jordancattle.com/

callmefence":qierryal said:
True Grit Farms":qierryal said:
callmefence":qierryal said:

Think this will work.

http://www.jordancattle.com/

We have nothing around here like that place that I'm aware of. Southeast Livestock Exchange is the only buyer that I'm aware of that sells cattle similar to Jordan Livestock. And most of what SLE does is by video auction.

They launched Facebook February 4, 2004. What the heck did we do before then? I mean, how can you possibly have cattle drives without everyone knowing your business? Where did they post their selfies?

backhoeboogie":v7ip81uc said:
They launched Facebook February 4, 2004. What the heck did we do before then? I mean, how can you possibly have cattle drives without everyone knowing your business? Where did they post their selfies?
The greensheet? If you had that in your area, the classifieds? Paper is almost obsolete. Thats a way of the past. The new era and digital generation is going to networking online. Its just part of the future and has opened up access and doors not there before. In 2003 you couldnt reach 5,000 cattle ranchers with a cow for sale in one week with 1 click. The available resources out there to market an animal at no cost are super. Why not? Are we not in the business to buy, sell and make a profit? Are we not in the business to bring in the biggest return possible? If having to wait for a special sale and waiting for a price brings the biggest return, go for it. If networking online and selling to who you choose, when you choose and for how much you choose, then go for it.

I have never looked at a live active Facebook page. But I listen to people talk. It amazes me how incredibly stupid people are. They will broadcast to the world their personal information, when they go to work, when they are leaving for vacation. I don't even give that information to close friends...They might put it on Facebook. I've even got to the point where a employee who I find out has posted about me or my family, business or property will no longer be welcome here.

callmefence":1mmpfjpg said:
I have never looked at a live active Facebook page. But I listen to people talk. It amazes me how incredibly stupid people are. They will broadcast to the world their personal information, when they go to work, when they are leaving for vacation. I don't even give that information to close friends...They might put it on Facebook. I've even got to the point where a employee who I find out has posted about me or my family, business or property will no longer be welcome here.

Call in sick then post pictures from activities on facebook. Highly intelligent people right there.

BK9954":22ecf7sv said:
Sale barn to me is straight beef price because its a bigger gamble. You got people like me who only take culls to the auction and sell decent cattle private. I see it as a sin to take a perfectly good replacement heifer and have the meat packers buy her at beef price, cheaper then a steer.
You have no problem serving up that same cheap beef in your restaurant. I think you need to visit more sales and pay a bit more attention to what is really happening. Go see who loads those cattle up. You'll be amazed how many are loaded by farmers taking to their new home, not to slaughter. As for it being a sin?? That's pushing it just a bit. Really pushing it a he// of a lot.

TexasBred":33ulwa1a said:
BK9954":33ulwa1a said:
You have no problem serving up that same cheap beef in your restaurant. I think you need to visit more sales and pay a bit more attention to what is really happening. Go see who loads those cattle up. You'll be amazed how many are loaded by farmers taking to their new home, not to slaughter. As for it being a sin?? That's pushing it just a bit. Really pushing it a he// of a lot.
Not wanting to stir the pot but maybe your sales are different. I sit in on plenty of auctions. On of my favorite ways to relax on a day off, its better then sitting on the couch watching TV. Come sit in on Seguin and Lockhart. Beef packers market. Gonzales is one you see the most infependent ranchers at, maybe cause its on Saturday. Still beef price, not replacement value. The guy might raise it a few cents but thats nothing. Like I said in the post above, why sell there if you dont have to. Replacements being sold over beef market price all day every day on the online market. Any one needs help with technology let me know. I would be glad to help. I just got my 76 year old neighbor plugged into selling on facebook. He couldnt believe how fast they sold. To each his own. But heck yeah I love cheap beef in my restuarant. I am an 11% partner. If it makes money, my 11% piece of the pie just got bigger. Thats what helps fund my cattle addiction.

Latest posts