F250 or F350 ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Jason W

Reaction score
Alright Ford guys I'm looking at used Ford pickups 2001 - 2002 with the 7.3 Whats the differences between the 250 and 350 besides heavier springs, any reason to go with one over the other. It seems like 350's are easier to find with low mileage.

Not sure if they changed sometime in production arount those years but the 350 has a solid front axle and the 250 has the "independant" suspension. The solid front seems to have less breakage and maint.

Jason W":1g0hslwf said:
Alright Ford guys I'm looking at used Ford pickups 2001 - 2002 with the 7.3 Whats the differences between the 250 and 350 besides heavier springs, any reason to go with one over the other. It seems like 350's are easier to find with low mileage.
$75 cheaper registration on the F350

Sage":2ycffc2r said:
Not sure if they changed sometime in production arount those years but the 350 has a solid front axle and the 250 has the "independant" suspension. The solid front seems to have less breakage and maint.
The F350 has had the Dana 60 Front axle since 1986. I believe they changed model#'s on the mono-beams (live axles) about 1999.

3/4 ton trucks have single rear wheels, many 1 ton trucks have dual rear wheels. When hauling cattle, its nice to have more than one tire on each side of the rear axle. When a tire blows on a single....it can easily be a trainwreck.

When a tire blows on a dually, no big deal.

I use 3 3/4 ton diesels that belong to my father-in-law, all of them singles. When I go buy a truck, it will definately be a dually.

The main difference I noticed in them (not in recent manufactured trucks) is that the 350 rides like a milk wagon. The 250 is a much more comfortable ride. There's a reason for the lower mileage, just may be the ride quality.

dun":3hs6rat0 said:
The main difference I noticed in them (not in recent manufactured trucks) is that the 350 rides like a milk wagon. The 250 is a much more comfortable ride. There's a reason for the lower mileage, just may be the ride quality.
One more point worthy of mention is that in some areas with Emission testing, some of the true 1 Tons are exempt.Most are here on account of their GVW rating.

Crowderfarms":hmepdnny said:
Sage":hmepdnny said:
The F350 has had the Dana 60 Front axle since 1986. I believe they changed model#'s on the mono-beams (live axles) about 1999.

The F250's have a solid front axle starting with the 1999 model year. Don't own anything that new but I'd say there is a difference in the spring packs. Get the 250 if you want something that resembles ride quality, the 350 if you're going to beat it up.

cfpinz

I have a 2002 F-350 ,it has a heavier gvwthan the 250 so I can haul heavier , the license does cost more than a 250 would. I think it rides pretty good, I have 1990 dodge 250 deisel that rides like a boxcar , the 350 ford rides like a cadilac compared to the old dodge .

insurance is a little cheaper on the 350 than the 250 here. the ride is much different.

You just need to decide if u want a single rear wheel or double. A double rear wheel 350 will haul and handle better than the 250 so if u haul a lot then i prefer the 350

Latest posts