Eye problem

Help Support CattleToday:

mountainranch

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I've got a black baldy cow with one severely clouded eye ,and the other one starting to cloud. I suspected pink eye. Our vet came out and gave her an antibiotic injection,and sprayed an antibiotic in her eyes. The vet said it looked like an injury to the one eye and not pinkeye. However, with the other eye looking abnormal,and a 1 year old steer,also with one eye watering,and nearly shut I think it might be caused by something other than an injury. We have 7 cows mostly black angus,and I am afraid this problem could spread if it's pink eye or some other disease. I applied a pour on wormer,and fly spray,and will apply the eye ointment for several days. I had to move the cows to a smaller pasture for a week with grass about 2 feet high ,and suspect this might have caused the eye irritation,and problem. I have since mowed the pasture. Anyone have suggestions, or experience with eye diseases,and treatment ? THANKS

Tn, no we haven't vaccinated in several years, due to lack of facilities. We just got our chute and head gate finished,and plan to start . Vet thinks she is blind in the one eye, probably from a recent injury. I was thinking that the tall grass may have irritated them,and caused pinkeye in her other eye as well as the steers. I'm hoping it's not IBR, our cows haven't been around anyone elses . thanks

Are they showing any other symptoms of IBR?(high temps, inflamed mucous membranes, lack of appetite, respiratory distress) I've never seen a case of IBR that didn't have only one of the symptoms. What you are describing sounds alot like pinkeye, particularly the cloudy part. I thought(if I'm wrong someone please correct me...im trying to learn :-D ) that IBR just caused redness and swelling, not clouding and blinding. I've seen pinkeye go through herds pretty quick and been in both eyes before, although it usually was only one. Good luck, if you find out what it is, let us know!

Well, It seems they have pinkeye. Only symptoms were watering, clouded eyes. The young lady vet that came to the house told us it looked like an injury,though I was sceptical as several cows were affected. We talked to a more experienced vet,and he said pinkeye. Several more cows starting showing symptoms. We have given all 7 cows 2 rounds of antibiotic shots,and they are looking better.
A friend advised us to give antibiotics at the first sign of a watery eye in the future. Fotunately the working chute,and head gate project we finished just paid off. THANKS

Latest posts