extra teat

Help Support CattleToday:

longhornlover3498

Reaction score
why is it that people say its a deformity when cows have an extra teat? i don't see any thing wrong the cow if shes like that. if the cow is a good cow what does it matter what her teats look like? :???:

longhornlover3498":1fewmwaq said:
why is it that people say its a deformity when cows have an extra teat? i don't see any thing wrong the cow if shes like that. if the cow is a good cow what does it matter what her teats look like? :???:

Usually, only four teats function, many heifers have extra teats which never develop. Some breeders just cut them off, I really don't worry about them too much..... At all at this point. On the other end if the teats are huge, like " coke bottles" :D the calf will have a hard time nursing or not be able to nurse, that's a big problem and a good reason to cull.

Alan

I don't think it's a deformity, though given 2 very similar heifers, I'll go for the one with exactly 4 teats. Last year one of the heifers I kept comes from a line which nearly always has great udders, however this one has an extra teat right beside a real one, and I was thinking of putting a band on it. Meanwhile, one of the heifers that calved this year has 6 teats, and they all work, though the hind pair don't have much in them ( I guess that's where the expression "Left sucking hind teat" comes from).

My criteria on a mature cow is the bottom of the udder shouldn't be lower than the navel, and the teats should be like my thumb... about 2 1/2" long, 1" around... that makes it easy for the calf to find them.... also, they should point downward even when the bag is full... if they are too close to the leg, that makes it harder for the calf to find them as well... Last but not least, there should be something in them!

I'm starting to select my replacement heifers for exactly 4 teats, and I think after a couple generations that should make for some better looking cows.

Though she might have some lacks, this cow has the type of udder I like and makes lots of milk. when she's not milking, she looks like a heifer... no udder whatsoever
Img_5202.jpg

And her 15 year old mother... a little sag is acceptable
IMG_6910-1.jpg

most all cows/heifers have extra teats.as said they dont hurt anything.when we had the dairy we did cut the extra teats off of heifers some.

Most dairy farms usually cut the auxillery teats off, as sometimes they are placed where they interfere with the milking machine. Also, sometimes these extra teats do produce a small amount of milk, and as they are not normally milked out, can cause mastitis, so it is easier to just remove them when the heifers are young.
When breeding for udder size there has to be a balance concerning size. Sometimes there are cows that have small udders ( the milk tissue tends to be up in the body cavity instead of hanging low) that produce a fair amount of milk, but normally udder size generally corresponds with production. Although some cows have big fatty meaty udders with little milk production tissue, so produce very little milk.
When dealing with "banana teats" the calf has a hard time getting ahold of them, and sometimes the cow steps on her own teats when getting up, and cuts them up, so there is a very good reason to select away from "banana teats". The other extreme is teats so small a milking machine won't stay on and always falls off. A real "pain" to deal with.
That 15 year old cow with a good udder is pretty incredible, or at least would be around here. In this area the calves are usually born in Feb-March and are weaned out in Sept- through November and usually weigh between 500-750 pounds. Good milking cows and fast growth are something that are selected for in the local breeding programs. A big calf like that can beat the daylights out of an udder, and for that cows udder to be in that good of shape, she has a pretty good udder that is for sure.
So there are valid reasons for considering size and shape of udders /teats when breeding.
Nite Hawk

Latest posts