Teat dip

Help Support CattleToday:

ez14.

Reaction score
So the dairy farm I work on has had an average SCC of 90,000 to 100,000 for quite some time until the teat dip we used was banned in 2017. So we switched to ecolab teat glo and the SCC dropped to 50,000 but then climbed back up and then went all the way up to over 200,000 and has stayed like that for over a year. I think we have developed a resistance issue to the teat dip we used so we have just started a 30 day free trial of effercept teat dip. So I have high hopes for this teat dip. Hopefully we can get back under 100,000

Dairys here use several different types. The funny thing is, it doesn't seem to matter what they are using this year, SCC counts have gone up nearly with everyone. I think as do most of the farmers, that the constant wet has caused some of it. The pack barns are wet, the pastures are wet, the confinement ones with free stalls are wet.... I will have to take a "poll" of some and see what they are using and if they have changed. I still see some of them with good old iodine that do okay. Some here will change to an "winter teat dip" because of the emollients for the teats in cold weather.
The "udder gold" ones that you have to mix are still used on a few and have one that uses something that is "flourescent green" and stains any and all clothes it gets on.
Have alot of dairies gone to hydogen peroxide for pre dip. The 2 best farms I test for run under 100,000 nearly all the time. But I've got a few that are up near the limits and I would not drink milk from the tank. Most run under 200,000 most all the time. With the new regs coming out I think there will be a few more going out. Or maybe at least getting rid of the problem cows. I have yet to understand keeping some of these high cell count cows "because she makes so much milk"....

We have also been hearing that the SCC has been higher for most of the farms around but I don't think most of them have over doubled like we have. We have also started using sani-bed in the free stalls that has helped maybe a little bit but not much.

We also have more heifers coming in then ever before so we have been culling the high SCC animals pretty hard but it doesn't seem to be effecting the average very much

Haven't had any issues with my SCC and we switched from test glo to another brand from IGA same iodine ratio just different product-we also use spray bottles now which is a test dip saver big time