Extension Agents

Help Support CattleToday:

TexasBred":152r3llm said:
Bust your a$$ serving the people of your county because most of the Extention Agents over here in Texas are as worthless as a pecker on a dead dog.
We actually have 'em here? I had come to the conclusion they were like a Chupacabra. You know--they're rumored to exist, every once in a while see a blurry picture of one, less frequently than that hear someone 'say' they had a face-to-face encounter with one, but there's never any conclusive proof that there's actually one in the county.
However, there IS an extension office here and if you go there, there is (well-was anyway) some nice lady that will point you to a big stack of TAMU brouchures on a table or in a rack on the wall.

(I haven't actually seen a county agent since back when Dewey Compton was giving the Farm Report on radio--that's been awhile)

I had that problem a long time ago. If a person was not from the right zip code, you were basically ignored.
There ya go. I live too close to the Liberty County line and have a Cleveland zip code and Ph extension I guess.

One of the major complaints about Texas AgriLife agent here is that they spend so much time with 4H/FFA that they have no time for farmers or livestock producers outside the 4H/FFA scope of things. We're getting a new one, but from what I've read, he's cut of the same cloth. Nothing wrong at all with mentoring to 4H/FFA but they aren't the only ag related folks in this county.

COLDSPRING — Brandon Gregson has been named Texas AgriLife Extension Service agent for agriculture and natural resources in San Jacinto County, according to Dr. Dale A. Fritz, district AgriLife Extension administrator in Bryan, and the San Jacinto County Commissioners Court.

Gregson will begin Sept. 1, filling the position previously held by Dr. Aaron Sumrall who transferred to the AgriLife Extension agent position in Newton County.

"Brandon is looking forward to working with the 4-H and youth development and agriculture and natural resources programs in San Jacinto County," Fritz said.

Gregson earned a master of science degree in agriculture science and a bachelor of science degree in animal science both from Sam Houston State University. While attending Sam Houston State, he was active in the Block and Bridle Club where he served as an officer and co-chaired the Children's Barnyard. He has been a member and coach of Sam Houston State's livestock judging team and assisted with the university's Invitational Livestock Judging Contest.

For the past nine years, Gregson has served as the AgriLife Extension agent for 4-H and youth development in Brazos County. In this role, he coordinated and managed nearly 700 club members and 200 adult volunteers. He also coordinated the Brazos County Pizza Ranch Agriculture Awareness event, which reaches about 1,000 4th grade students annually.

Gregson has conducted numerous clinics and workshops in livestock project management and care and oversaw a large multi-county Youth Livestock Project Classic...
http://today.agrilife.org/2012/07/27/gr ... to-county/

Maybe he'll be more accessible to the rest of us tho--hard to say till he gets here.

Our county is fortunate in that we have an agent for agriculture, an agent for 4-H livestock, a 4-H agent for urban, and an agent for TEEA, nutrition & other home related stuff.

MSHereford88":1w5yxzk6 said:
Thanks everyone for you replys!

SSGenetics":1w5yxzk6 said:
Any other credentials besides a degree?

I have a strong equine background (13 yrs experience plus I've worked at a few stables). While I haven't worked with 4H, I have worked for the Girlscouts. Obviously they are not the same thing, but it helps. I have worked in the children's department of my county's library and besides my usual duties, I led a few little programs there. I have passed Incident Command System courses ICS-100, ICS-200, ICS-700, and will be taking the one for extension agents exclusively in the next few days. I have obtained Technical Large Animal Emergency Rescue Awareness certification as well.
Aside from that I feel like I can communicate fairly well and, most importantly, I have a drive to do the job well and I care enough about the people to help get their needs addressed. I know I'm not the best qualified in all areas, but I Want to do the job.

That is the important thing. And its important that you understand that when you start there are many of your customers who know more than you so don't be afraid to say "I don't know but I can find out". And get back to them if you say you are going to. Don't tell them I'll have such and such call you because such and such won't. Follow up.

A prime example of how the public gets upset with agents and civil servants is what has recently happened to me. I'm needing some information on something so I went to the extention. They directed me to the department of agriculture. After 8 months of broken appointments, broken promises and just out and out lies, they have directed me BACK to the extension service. Come September, I will have spent 9 months trying to find the answer to some regulatory matters and I still know nothing but at least the Extension service has offered a class on a brief overture that will ever so slightly touch on the subject I'm enquiring about for a fee of $150 plus two days room and board and two days of missed work. I have two trump cards in my hand but I do not want to use them and would rather stay within the system but its a shame that our system is so terribly inundated by people who just don't care. So good for you in WANTING to do the job. The sad thing is you don't have to do the job and you will still get the same pay increase as the one that does and then incompetant ones will be promoted to their highest level of incompetance.

Jogeephus":8i2v55jy said:
That is the important thing. And its important that you understand that when you start there are many of your customers who know more than you so don't be afraid to say "I don't know but I can find out". And get back to them if you say you are going to. Don't tell them I'll have such and such call you because such and such won't. Follow up.
YES!!

Jogeephus":8i2v55jy said:
A prime example of how the public gets upset with agents and civil servants is what has recently happened to me. I'm needing some information on something so I went to the extention. They directed me to the department of agriculture. After 8 months of broken appointments, broken promises and just out and out lies, they have directed me BACK to the extension service. Come September, I will have spent 9 months trying to find the answer to some regulatory matters and I still know nothing but at least the Extension service has offered a class on a brief overture that will ever so slightly touch on the subject I'm enquiring about for a fee of $150 plus two days room and board and two days of missed work. I have two trump cards in my hand but I do not want to use them and would rather stay within the system but its a shame that our system is so terribly inundated by people who just don't care. So good for you in WANTING to do the job. The sad thing is you don't have to do the job and you will still get the same pay increase as the one that does and then incompetant ones will be promoted to their highest level of incompetance.
The Peter Principle.

john250":1diuil0v said:
TexasBred":1diuil0v said:
Bust your a$$ serving the people of your county because most of the Extention Agents over here in Texas are as worthless as a pecker on a dead dog.

Those would mostly be A&M grads, maybe? :cowboy:
Yessir you're absolutely right. Them that's worth a dam have corporations waiting on them...not government. But at least we don't turn out a thousand new lawyers every year like another school we have down this way. :nod:

Latest posts