Extension Agents

Help Support CattleToday:

Diehard40

Reaction score
I've read a lot of post on here and most of them i've asked myself in the past and have been helped by my local extension agent. Over the years I have received a lot of great information from my local county extension agent. I was just wondering if any others have had similar experience or if they even use the extension service.

Most are great people. Good people interested in the industry.
I mine their information (field days, pasture walks), but don't particpate in any programs. So don't really have much one on one with them.

Extension agents are probably as varied across the country as other people are. Times have changed: No longer do we see the extension agents always willing to drop by the farm or ranch, sit a spell, chew on a straw while discussing the real issues of one's program, and offering valid sage advice or suggestions.

My (limited) experience with EA's has been that the farm & ranch component of the County Extension Offices has taken a back seat to the more "popular" programs of 4-H, Domestic Issues, and such. Also, I think quite a few extension agents are just out of college with an Ag Degree and primarily know the academic side of agriculture, but not the local conditions and issues at the post to which they are assigned. Some of the same issues are also present with new Vet graduates who larger numbers are prefering to go into "small animal practices" (more $$ and cleaner, safer work).

In all probability, if one can find a local farm/ranch mentor who is willing to share his/her knowledge (without feeling threatened by the newbee), that is probably the more valid and useful choice with whom to consult rather than the County Ext. Agent. IMHO.

Our extension office is of limited help, mostly oriented towards dairy and home gardening.
The NRCS office on the other hand is a wealth of knowledge, information and assistance.

dun

I have to say that I have been more influenced by the state and county extension agents than by the good mentors I have had in my life of farming. In the early sixties I sought, and recieved the advise of the county agent and was not only me make decisions on my farm but somehow helped me to have enough confidence to become a leader in in local and state ag organizations. He utterly changed my life. Having said that I believe that the Extension Service has been watered down to the extent that it is just a shadow of what it once was.

I have to agree, Extension Service is hit or miss in every county across the state and it is getting watered down less emphasis is being given to "traditional" agriculture.

My experience is on our level is that local cattleman's associations have had a lot of influence on the hire of new agents and play an important role. I would suggest that your local cattle groups get involved and let your extension people know what is needed. It has helped us a lot.

Ours has primarily been good.. but not a wealth of knowledge. There are others I would consult first! But certainly good for beginners. I'm on the Beef and Forage committee for our county extension, and most of the programs are geared towards the new ranchers, or whatever is new in the industry, like animal identification, etc.

Extension Agents:

1950's: Ag people with rural background and interests.

2000's: "City" people with college degree in Ag that got a State job...

2050's: "State wannabees with a Martha Stewart Living On The Farm Agenda"

LOL!

Running Arrow Bill":1ac8n7sa said:
Extension Agents:

1950's: Ag people with rural background and interests.

2000's: "City" people with college degree in Ag that got a State job...

2050's: "State wannabees with a Martha Stewart Living On The Farm Agenda"

LOL!

Where I live it is impossible for anone to get an ag job with a gov agency unless you are a "papered" person. The local gov ag person is a - bred, born and raised in Toronto" - lady who took a degree in psysh and a two year ag diploma.

She showed up here one day to invite us to the local operation and a BBQ. She wore a short skirt and heels.

Her one really good comment - we were in the process of de-horning - was "that sure looks yucky!"

We wondered how she got her job.

I have to admit she has stellar legs though.

Bez?

The agents are generally funded by the county, at least here they are. So whatever the county see as the need is what the agents are hired to do. Our nearest livestock agent is four counties away so he isn't much help. I work for the conservation district and I swear that our county extension has us on speed dial. One of my coworkers spends most of his day answering extension type questions.

Bez?":17fjia8a said:
dun":17fjia8a said:
Bez?":17fjia8a said:

Bez?

Perhaps I am just a sensitive new aged male

not with that comment you aren't

dun

I may an an old grey haired fat guy, but that does not mean I cannot enjoy pleasant scenery.

Bez?

The onjoying is one thing but I'm told that commenting on it is a no no.

dun

dun":3tr655mo said:
Bez?":3tr655mo said:
dun":3tr655mo said:
Bez?":3tr655mo said:

Bez?

dun

I may an an old grey haired fat guy, but that does not mean I cannot enjoy pleasant scenery.

Bez?

dun

Jeepers - the only folks I told are here on the boards.

Think I am going to get into trouble?

8)

Bez?

I used to work at the extension office in a county that I will not name. The extension agent is a good old country boy that had been there for a long time and came and went as he pleased, complained all the time about people who owned 10 acres wondering what they should plant on their "farm" (he'd say that sarcastically), and spent a whole lot of time on the road or on the phone looking for just the right show calf for his kids and the kids of his cronies. Us secretaries spent our time writing his reports and looking up answers to questions people would have when they called in. The office personnel an the asst. agent turnover there was pretty regular. When I was there the asst. agent and I quit about the same time and the other secretary quit about 3 weeks later. I have no idea how things are there now...that was about 6 or 7 years ago. I can't imagine things have changed that much, however.

The extension agent in my county is good...plus we have A&M experiment station here, also.

Alice

Thanks to everyone, that is kind of what I was thinking it is pretty much hit or miss.
I do personally know several agents some older some relatively new 5 - 10 years of service and the ones I know all have a good background in agriculture so they are very helpful.
I agree that the Hands on experience along with the book knowledge should be required.
And I will agree with Bez a nice set of legs don't hurt either. :lol:

Again i state that the producers in the counties need to have a voice in these hires

dun":1adnjfwv said:
Bez?":1adnjfwv said:
dun":1adnjfwv said:
Bez?":1adnjfwv said:

Bez?

dun

Bez?

dun

Oh no, you mean Bez is politically incorrect? Horrors :lol:

Latest posts