Purpose of Extension Office?

Help Support CattleToday:

bpwagner115

Reaction score
I am from South Dakota and I am curious what the purpose of extension offices are? For example there is a beef extension office, however the webstie gives NO detail as to what their purpose is. I have been looking at buying a livestock scale and some have recommended using local extension offices, as they often rent them. Do they often provide these services? What else can they help with?? Thanks for your help.

I have used the ones in Missouri to find experts who can talk to me about stream and river erosion, my grass condition, and cattle leasing. All three people they pointed me to were very helpful and have kept me from making very expensive mistakes.

As for the scale I am going to build my own using a set of load cells (http://www.usedscales.com/scale_kits.htm) and some scrap metal so I can build a set of weight bars. I will then build a concrete form to hold the weight bards which I will put a custom made metal plate over. Once I am done with using the scale I can remove the weight bars and put the metal plate back down. Keeps the electronics from being out in the weather and makes it so I can put a scale just about anywhere I want.

Terrific. I just emailed the director and she has already emailed me back with the phone numbers of local agents and it sounds like a scale and chute are no problem. I am very impressed. I have also hear about people who have gotten corral and tub designs from their extension office as well. I wish I knew more about my own office.

My extension agent thinks his purpose is to just exist, while offering no help or even entering his office for the most part. I have weeds more useful than him.

Isomade":2769vbpe said:
My extension agent thinks his purpose is to just exist, while offering no help or even entering his office for the most part.
It will take some work on your part but you can get him replaced. If you and your neighbors write notes over the next year about your experiences with him and CC the chain of command you will see either a marked difference in his behavior our his replacement...

I have weeds more useful than him.
Most weeds are just plants we do not currently use. So I am thinking that is true of a good part of humanity. Big Grin.

Well I did talk to the director, she emailed my local representatives and they are yet to contact me......I hope I didn't count my chickens before they hatched.

Isomade":1p8uz3w6 said:
My extension agent thinks his purpose is to just exist, while offering no help or even entering his office for the most part. I have weeds more useful than him.

i had an extention agent like that in webb co., texas. he didn't even want people taking pamphlets unless he authorized it. the guy belonged to the big ranchers!

Most land grant colleges/univer's have extension offices in most counties of the state. If you have problems remember he has a boss at the univer. I live in Mississippi and we have great extensions services from MS State. They offer all kinds of classes with experianced professors. I took an AI class last Nov at MSU and learned a lot. They do know about land erosion and weed control, however, for erosion problems I go to USDA Soil conservation office and have had great results.
Google MSUCARES and you will find a ton of publications.

Isomade":3o95ty35 said:

We had one like you talk about, several of us talked of spraying his office with grazon.
Finally got him replaced and got a good one. That one ended up getting a divorce and disappearing.
We ask Santa for a new one last year and we are still waiting.

I called mine for some pasture advice a few years back. He came out instead of answering questions on the phone. That was impressive. Problem was once he got there he tried to talk me in to some sort of welfare programs with government assistance. Instead of advising me he wanted to get professionals. I was done at that point. Cleared what I wanted to clear and took CB's advice on discing in coastal. It worked.

It sounds like I'm lucky. We've had the same CE agent for 20 years, and she's a bundle of energy. She aranges and coordinates 'experts' to come in and do seminars and workshops, where we learn alot, some of it very useful and some not. Since she's been here, we have just about every piece of equipment you can think of available for rent, cheap. Stuff like lime/fertilizer hopper spreaders, big spray rigs. Stuff that smaller operations wouldn't/couldn't buy. Since I've had my own cattle, I've been very impressed with what all they do. They have even gotten local businesses involved to sponser 'best hay' competitions, so we get our hay quality/ nutrition checked for free.

Well I spoke too soon. I called the rep and he made me feel like an IDIOT for asking. I told him I was looking to rent a livestock scale and he asked me where I was looking to rent it from. Ummm........what? Thats why I called you.

bpwagner115":3m2x3zzy said:
Well I spoke too soon. I called the rep and he made me feel like an IDIOT for asking. I told him I was looking to rent a livestock scale and he asked me where I was looking to rent it from. Ummm........what? Thats why I called you.
Get back to his boss ASAP

It;s very much a possibility. Our local NRCS office rents drills and a spinning jennie and that's all. They used to rent a set up to pump dairy lagoons but it got to th epoint wher the upkeep was higher then what thye were getting for rent.
Our extension office rent/loans a hay probe but nothing else.
The local FFA gropu has a scale that they rent.

I am waiting for a reply from the director to see. When I asked her initially she said that my local office should have one. Regardless I just found a newspaper article from April that says the offices will close in October due to budget cuts at the state level. I took an AI class from the office this spring that was excellent. Thank you Mr. Governor.

EXTENSION IS set up different in every state.
agents are different in every county.
we have a lot of non ag agents now.
have not had an ag agent in almost two years. no only in our county But in a five county area.

pdfangus":2i0q6mpo said:
EXTENSION IS set up different in every state.
agents are different in every county.
we have a lot of non ag agents now.
have not had an ag agent in almost two years. no only in our county But in a five county area.
If they are not ag, what are they? Home economics?

Latest posts