Explain this please

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence said:
Do we want this?? Should I email my representatives. ? I'll just sit here and listen

https://youtu.be/3ZVtu2cr2is

I watched and listened and have no idea as what the bills are supposed to do for us.

All I know is meat, eggs, poultry, milk, etc. at retail prices are fixing to go up to never come down. Another thing I know is the producer will see none of this. As long as there is a good supply and everything stays the same in the supply chain the producer will be left out. The big 4 meat processors have a monopoly and without any viable competition they control the producer pricing and pretty much the retail pricing. Another thing I know is our wonderful congressmen create this mess and could care less about trying to fix it. Take away a lot of the EPA regs., offer incentive programs for new processors and in time that will help. Do they really care about the producer as most are small and have very little political influence.

Grocery prices are the highest they've been in decades, producer prices are stuck in 1990 prices.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/video/lifestyle/grocery-prices-are-the-highest-theyve-been-in-decades/vi-BB141v8a

Farmers and ranchers don't give large campaign contributions. Multimillion dollar corporations (processors) do. Who do you think is going to be getting the better deal from the government?

I realize more cash trade "might' lead to more price discovery. Personally, I think the actual discovery will be that the packers will still give whatever they are going to give.

More processors, especially USA based wouid be a better fix. That's just not going to happen.

The U.S. meatpacking industry: Investment invasion

https://www.provisioneronline.com/articles/102363-the-us-meatpacking-industry-investment-invasion

HDRider said:
Do we want this? I do

Should I email my representatives? I have

I know I said I'd set here, but you seem to be set on this. I don't really understand it. Except it seems to be government regulations, I thought we were for deregulation. ..

callmefence said:
HDRider said:
Do we want this? I do

I know I said I'd set here, but you seem to be set on this. I don't really understand it. Except it seems to be government regulations, I thought we were for deregulation. ..

I been following it as while. It took me awhile to understand it.

By bidding cash prices it sets the price for other transactions within the same time frame.

It is a more real time price. That is a double edge sword. I have not heard anyone say this, but I could see cash price bids being lower than contract prices if there was a cattle glut. That said, contract prices would kick in first, and then any remaining demand, but no less than the legal minimum (30 or 50%) would be cash bids.

Now so many prices are set by future contracts and may or may not reflect the potential sales value at the time of the sale.

Regard wanting less regulations. Nothing is black and white. Regulations are what built these mega processors. Instead of saying "we want no regulations" (and I know this will grind your gizzard), but we want regulations in place that give protection to a fair and equitable market. The overwhelming power wielded by the packers now puts everyone else at a big disadvantage.

If we had no regulations almost every industry would eventually be dominated by one giant player, a monopoly. One car company, one computer company, one beef company, one drink manufacturer, and so on. In no small part that is what we are seeing now. More and more consolation is happening every day

57ebc2d7077dcc0f208b7830

I dont understand how bidding more will help. It seems it could cause more volatility down the line when the end person doesnt know what they will get? It seems good in theory if you have a lot if competition bidding but if you dont it could backfire.

We saw how fast JBS was willing to bring in outside meat. Until that is addresses, I do see any thing changing. If prices of beef in the US get any higher it just makes it more justifiable to bring in foreign meat or fake meat or what ever else.

I believe we need to stop all import of foreign goods possible, and be prepared for the consequences on the export side. You gotta break a egg to make a omelette.

In what universe does government regs keep business small??? I'm sorry but that's just a ridiculous idea. The most regulated business s in the country are the biggest and most monopolist. Untill they get regulated enough they become government departments.
I think ag needs more competition that's for sure.
I also reckon the big Packers have already figured out how to exploit this. And we won't be free to do anything about it because it's a regulation.

HDRider said:
Do we want this? I do

You need to call. A letter is better than an email, but from what I've read a phone call is best.

callmefence said:
I believe we need to stop all import of foreign goods possible, and be prepared for the consequences on the export side. You gotta break a egg to make a omelette.

In what universe does government regs keep business small??? I'm sorry but that's just a ridiculous idea. The most regulated business s in the country are the biggest and most monopolist. Untill they get regulated enough they become government departments.
I also reckon the big Packers have already figured out how to exploit this. And we won't be free to do anything about it because it's a regulation.
https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.EXP.GNFS.ZS

The US exports less than most realize

Exports as a percent of GDP
US 12%
China 20%
Brazil 15%
Germany 47%
Japan 18%
Australia 22%
Canada 32%
Saudi Arabia 40%
Sweden 46%

callmefence said:

Their economies of scale make the regulations more affordable to the giants. They spread their cost over a larger basis.
Small businesses cannot afford to comply.

HDRider said:
callmefence said:
HDRider said:
Do we want this? I do

I been following it as while. It took me awhile to understand it.

By bidding cash prices it sets the price for other transactions within the same time frame.

It is a more real time price. That is a double edge sword. I have not heard anyone say this, but I could see cash price bids being lower than contract prices if there was a cattle glut. That said, contract prices would kick in first, and then any remaining demand, but no less than the legal minimum (30 or 50%) would be cash bids.

Now so many prices are set by future contracts and may or may not reflect the potential sales value at the time of the sale.

Regard wanting less regulations. Nothing is black and white. Regulations are what built these mega processors. Instead of saying "we want no regulations" (and I know this will grind your gizzard), but we want regulations in place that give protection to a fair and equitable market. The overwhelming power wielded by the packers now puts everyone else at a big disadvantage.

If we had no regulations almost every industry would eventually be dominated by one giant player, a monopoly. One car company, one computer company, one beef company, one drink manufacturer, and so on. In no small part that is what we are seeing now. More and more consolation is happening every day

57ebc2d7077dcc0f208b7830
Great post brother! You explained this situation, as complex as it is, dang well.

HDRider said:
callmefence said:

Their economies of scale make the regulations more affordable to the giants. They spread their cost over a larger basis.
Small businesses cannot afford to comply.

That's exactly right

HDRider said:
callmefence said:

https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NE.EXP.GNFS.ZS

The US exports less than most realize

Exports as a percent of GDP
US 12%
China 20%
Brazil 15%
Germany 47%
Japan 18%
Australia 22%
Canada 32%
Saudi Arabia 40%
Sweden 46%

Kinda looks like we got the hammer........

Latest posts