Explain the logic of this one

Help Support CattleToday:

Chuck

Reaction score
The railroad runs right behind where I work. Their switch and signal division has had a small station across the street from us for years. I know most of those guys and we help each other out time to time. I do a little spraying and mowing on their side to keep the city happy and they will help me with lifting or moving things with tractor or boom truck. We have probably put more in than we got back, but all in all has worked out well. Recently they replaced all the rubber material from their major RR crossings and dumped the old here. I thought this would make really good creek crossing material, so I asked what they were going to do with it. The reply was they would sort it and reuse the best of it for rural sideroad crossings and I could have the rest if I would haul it. Proper form was filled out and submitted. The guys sorted it this week. Meantime, new manager for this division has come in and the whole deal went out the window. When I asked why the reply was "I don't want to mess with it" This morning they brought several big dumpsters from the local refuse company and loaded all the material in with a Cat loader. Now they are PAYING to put this in the local landfill. For some reason I am no longer feeling inclined to do much mowing and spraying on their side of the property line. Ah, the corporate mind at work.

Yep. The factory in the the next county just bought all new computers. Instead of cleaning the hard drives on the old ones and giving them to the couple of local schools that can't afford computers they put them all in the dumpster...after they smashed them. Idiots :mad:

Jerry might be on to something here. Either take it out or go to the landfill. I would think the landfill will let you have anything that is dumped there. Maybe talk to one of the guys with the city and tell him what you need. I live in a small town and have stopped the trucks going through and asked if I could have several straw bales off of the truck after Halloween. I also used to scout out houses in town with pine trees to get the pine needles to put around a blueberry patch. Sometimes they beat me to them early in the morning and I run them down. I have gone to the dump and picked up bags of needles there too. No one tells me to leave.

It's already gone. As soon as they got it loaded in the dumpsters Waste Management was there to haul it out. They won't let you in the landfill here. I'm not sure how I would drag it out anyway. I was going to have to use a tractor and loader to put it on the trailer. These were sheets of solid rubber 6-10 inches thick, about 3-4' wide and between 6 and 16' long. Real heavy stuff. Put in the bottom of a creek crossing they would have been there till the end of time. The knotheads. :mad:

Careful, My wife don't like it when I go to the dump and bring back more than I left with.

Railroads are like that. My Uncle has a Farm right next to the tracks. A few years ago several Hoppers with Corn derailed. Several locals asked if they could have the Corn, and were told no. The area was secured and a front end loader was called in. They hauled load after load to the dump. I worked for the RR for years. they don't give much away.

Chuck":341oon1c said:
Now they are PAYING to put this in the local landfill.

Sarbanes-Oxley Act of 2002 changed the way we conduct business in the United States for the better—but the law is complex and can be confusing.

I believe this to be part of the problem. Big companies find it easier to let scrap go to the landfills than worry about non compliance.

Latest posts