Experiences? Do you have any?

Help Support CattleToday:

Daisy452

Reaction score
I bought two wild angus steers to show here at our fair. Well the first day out I was trying to catch them and tie them up and I got rope burn on my left hand badly. I quickly finished my work and went up to the house, and by that time my hand felt like it was on fire. I tried everything to cool it down.
1. I first poured perioxide on it to kill the bacteria.
2. I put burn oitment on it, that made it worse. I washed it off.
3. the cold water felt good on the hand but I couldnt let the water run all day I had stuff to do, cattle to feed.
4. I put neosporin with pain relief, that didnt help either. I washed that off too.
5. I did an old wives tell, I put cold butter on it, it felt better immediately, but the instant that the butter got hot my hand was on fire again. And I very well couldnt walk around with my hand in a butter jar all day.
6. I put ice on it, the ice cooled it but the ice melted fast and my hand was on fire again.
7. my last trick was an ice pack. It worked. I did my errands all day with an ice pack in my left hand. I got looks where ever I went.
Lesson learned here: WERE GLOVES!!!!! I learned this lesson and now I were gloves.

Do any of you have an experiences you wish to tell us? If so post them here so all will read and learn and not make the mistakes we did. lol.

Well, here goes... my dumb mistake...
Bought some calves we thought were weaned. They weren't. We opened the trailer, let them out and they were out our fence and through the woods before we could blink. We chased them ALL DAY. They had no idea what a feed bucket was (so that was no help), they had no idea who WE were, they just wanted MOM!!! We did get them back (only by running them down a fenceline and into a neighbor's pen).

Lesson learned... I now have a nifty little area just for young'ns.

Re:
Do any of you have an experiences you wish to tell us? If so post them here so all will read and learn and not make the mistakes we did.
Not a chance! I prefer to let you swinging in the wind feeling stupid all by yourself --------------- well at lest for now!
rof13.gif

And what’s with the “mistakes we did”, you got a mouse in your pocket?
SL

Just a week ago we were idiots. :roll:
We were giving our cows their vaccines and Mom was busy getting everything ready so I thought I would just run the first cow through alone. She follows a bucket better than she chases anyway so it would be easy. We have a wooden alleyway that leads to a metal chute with head gate. So I pulled up the gate and wrapped the rope around the side of the chute and took my bucket down the alleyway. The cow was following nicely and I turned around to go through the chute at the same time Mom decided to help. She unwrapped the rope and didn't catch it, down came the gate on my nose. I was nearly down. The cow came to a stop and just stared at me as my head was ringing and I was trying to determine if my nose was broken or not. Gave my self a minute, picked up the bucket and took the cow through. Had a headache for the rest of the day but my nose wasn't broken. Had a lot of swelling, bleeding and a couple of black eyes the next day though. Finally today the bleeding finally stopped completely. :D I just thank God it wasn't broken.
Lesson to learn: If you are working with someone else, let them know what you are doing. ;-)

My daughter hsd a show steer that was "spooky'.I took him out after a storm,he heard a loud thunder clap and took off.Rather than let him go I tried to stay with him.Ended up pulling my hamstring and sat in the house for three weeks.

I did the stupidest thing an hour ago.Was treating a cow and opened the head gate to let her go with the needle in my hand.I now have a 3 inch slice down the middle of my hand.It's bleeding pretty good so I doubt I got any meds in my system.Hurts like all be nice though.Stupid..... stupid..... stupid.......

Can't wait to explain this one to the hubby tonight :oops: .

I raise holstein calves and usually have odd hours when it comes to feeding them because of school. One night I had stayed up way to late cram studying for a test i had the next day so i fed my calves and called it a night. Next morning i came stumbling out to find my calves at the back door waitng for me. I had ended up not laching up the gate and they found themselves out and about the yard. They ate the dog food and half of my mothers fruit trees that where just begining to bloom. Luckily for me they were alright after that but boy want a waker uper that was.

Was treating calf with a pill gun ~ I think for scours. Anyhow, it was a big calf and I was standing with his head between my legs with his head pulled up, my feet barely touched the ground. He decides he doesn't want pill gun shoved down his throat and takes off running. I rolled backwards off of him. Another head injury :roll: , plus my shoulder hurt for weeks. Should have asked for help....