Expected Calf. What do I need?

Help Support CattleToday:

Bestoutwest

Reaction score
What am I going to need? Cow is experienced with having a calf, that I'm not concerned with. What should I give for an injection? What do I need for in the house if I have to bring the calf inside? Those kinds of things.

Thanks

Hopefully, nothing. Most of the time, an experienced cow will do it all on her own.

But...I've got two in the tackroom right now, born today in 2 ft of snow - and temps due to go below 0 tonight. One born after noon had melted through the snow, down to green grass - with her feet sticking up in the air; was essentially cast and had worn itself out trying to get up.
Towels for drying, blankets for the floor and to cover the calf, an old sweatshirt or sweater. A nursing bottle and an esophageal tube feeder(I prefer the flexible plastic probe types, rather than rigid), a top quality colostrum replacer(not supplement), in the event that the calf can't/won't nurse, or you can't get the cow in to milk her out.
I wouldn't worry much about 'injections' right off the bat...get the calf up and going first, then deal with any other issues.

Tomorrow's chore - get the two cows in and pair 'em back up with their calves.
I have 5 more due to calve any minute now(due yesterday); hope they'll hold off 'til daylight - I'm out of colostrum replacer and frozen colostrum 'til I can hit TSC in the morning &/or milk out one of these two cows.

If you are on site for the calving and you see the calf up and sucking I wouldn't worry (much). If the calf has to come in for some reason colostrum and towels.

Latest posts