Exercise

Help Support CattleToday:

herofan

Reaction score
I'm sure all of you get in plenty of manual labor on a regular basis. Do any of you have an exercise routine such as lifting weights, jogging, treadmill, etc.

It seems like everyone these days is into exercise, but isn't it just mostly for people who don't otherwise get in any physical activity? I can't imagine someone fencing or putting up square bales of hay all day and then hitting the weight bench in the evening.

Does someone who fences all day really need to go for a jog to stay healthy? I've always had a difficult time getting motivated to put out a lot of physical exertion with no chore being accomplished.

I hear of people working out in the weight room for two hours and think, "all that effort sure would have moved a lot of hay."

I often see people going down the sidewalk at a swift pace while swinging their arms back and forth with weights in their hands and think, "they could get a roll of barbed wire, some posts, a fence post driver, and actually get something done."

I get exercise and a fair amount is cardiovascular but I also go to the YMCA about 3 times a week and do the elliptical machines then use the weight room for 40 minutes. The type of motion you get on machines is different that lifting and bending at the farm.

I do not exercise other than work or cattle chores, but just today I was thinking that I probably should start. That has to count for something. I bet I will think about it again in a few months.

Bright Raven":3mehqq4k said:
I get exercise and a fair amount is cardiovascular but I also go to the YMCA about 3 times a week and do the elliptical machines then use the weight room for 40 minutes. The type of motion you get on machines is different that lifting and bending at the farm.
Yeah machines can lock you into an unnatural motion and lead to injury.

For me I can do chores all day but it's just not the same as a workout. The heart rate doesn't get up like it does during a good workout.

Do I feel like working out after work? Hell no. That's why for me the key is to workout first thing in the morning. If you need to spend more than 45 minutes in the gym you're either eating terrible or not working hard enough.

herofan":eah3ihqi said:
I'm sure all of you get in plenty of manual labor on a regular basis. Do any of you have an exercise routine such as lifting weights, jogging, treadmill, etc.

It seems like everyone these days is into exercise, but isn't it just mostly for people who don't otherwise get in any physical activity? I can't imagine someone fencing or putting up square bales of hay all day and then hitting the weight bench in the evening.

Does someone who fences all day really need to go for a jog to stay healthy? I've always had a difficult time getting motivated to put out a lot of physical exertion with no chore being accomplished.

I hear of people working out in the weight room for two hours and think, "all that effort sure would have moved a lot of hay."

I often see people going down the sidewalk at a swift pace while swinging their arms back and forth with weights in their hands and think, "they could get a roll of barbed wire, some posts, a fence post driver, and actually get something done."
when I worked a regular job, I would walk at lunch,, for the Very reason to stay in some kinda shape,to be able to work the farm..had a desk job. When I started full time on the farm. I went from 240 to 210' seemed like over night...

Between my job and farming I couldn't imagine going to a gym. I bet anyone at the gym couldn't keep up with me on a normal day.

Seems like a lot of people get their exercise by jumping to conclusions and flying off the handle

Bright Raven":1pt16wh4 said:
Pretty much the same for me except I do an hour on the treadmill.
Also do therapeutic exercises for my back at home everyday. May not be fun but I would be in a lot worse shape if I didn't do them.

Ryder":212yw7q2 said:
Bright Raven":212yw7q2 said:
Also do therapeutic exercises for my back at home everyday. May not be fun but I would be in a lot worse shape if I didn't do them.

Doing planks has helped my back a lot

I do an hour on the elliptical several days a week (used to be 6 but now 5 days) and lift weights at gym at least 3 days. Have been a gym rat for 20 years and I get cranky if I don't go (even crankier than usual).
It's hard having to back down on the size of the weights over the past 20 years. Kept trying to tough it out but realized my form was not proper and had to get humble. Now I have to be careful with my back (herniated disc) and shoulder (tore rotator cuff awhile back). Realized I'm getting nearer old bird than spring chicken ;-)

boondocks":3f9ncm0i said:
Ryder":3f9ncm0i said:
Bright Raven":3f9ncm0i said:

I just started planks. How long you do them for?

Ryder":3gp4cw0e said:
boondocks":3gp4cw0e said:
Ryder":3gp4cw0e said:

Depends. I do about 5 min of crunches, then a few sets of planks, then repeat. If my back isn't in a bad cycle, I count to 100 per set. Make sure you use good form and keep your back from sagging. Stretch when done. :)

boondocks":yrtivp9h said:
Ryder":yrtivp9h said:
boondocks":yrtivp9h said:

Depends. I do about 5 min of crunches, then a few sets of planks, then repeat. If my back isn't in a bad cycle, I count to 100 per set. Make sure you use good form and keep your back from sagging. Stretch when done. :)
Thnx.

I made it through the Insanity workouts a couple of years ago. I hadn't been in that good of shape in a several years, or since. We try to eat healthier these days, and I get on the paddleboard every chance I get. It really frees my back up. Other than that, fencing takes every spare minute and calorie I have.

Rafter S":qetkvq5j said:
I do 12 ounce curls almost every evening. Does that count?

Depends on how many reps per set. :lol: I was home alone last Friday night and a couple of neighbors stopped by to visit that I hadn't seen this summer. They wanted to prime the pump for the big wedding in the neighborhood that was happening on Saturday evening. That was a couple of high rep sets.