Every day Carry

Help Support CattleToday:

True Grit Farms":15k4yrea said:
TennesseeTuxedo":15k4yrea said:
Dogs and Cows":15k4yrea said:
This I can believe! HAHAHA

On a serious note, has your life been threatened? Are you fearful of someone or something? Do you travel to dangerous places at odd hours of the night? Are you being stalked?

I'm all for the right to keep and bear arms I've just never felt the need to tote one around with me.

We all don't live a sheltered life, live in a gated community and have a bodyguard. I'd rather have one and not need one, than need one and not have one. Some folks plan on cutting and running, and some folks plan to stand their ground.
https://www.areavibes.com/nashville-tn/crime/ As long as it's someone else you'll be alright.

I am with TT on this. I never felt threatened to the point where I needed to go packing. And I have far from lived a sheltered life. I have lived and worked in some wild and woolly parts of Alaska and western Indian reservations. As for a gated community, there isn't even a gate on the driveway. And the wife would be my only bodyguard and she is so blind that she will empty a gun trying to hit a snake 5 feet away. I have been in serious knock down drag out fights and bar room brawls but I never felt the need to go packing. Other than hunting season the only times in my life I have packed a gun everyday were when I worked in brown bear country and cowboying in an area where I killed a snake or five everyday.

Bright Raven":1gp9a8jk said:
Caustic Burno":1gp9a8jk said:
Bright Raven":1gp9a8jk said:
If I carried, it would be my full size Wilson Combat 1911, 45 ACP because if I feel threatened, I am going "offensive" and I am going to shoot the whole dam place up. Lol

If I expect snakes, I will be armed with my pillstrom tongs:
1zdwzzo.jpg

Made in Arkansas and invented by Lawrence Pillstrom:
29pyh3o.jpg

Those are absolutely worthless when working fence. Kinda like that Ruger 10-22 on the Mule 200 yards down the fence and you're straddling a big rattlesnake.

I can appreciate that. When you are in the act of finding snakes, like copperheads or rattlesnakes, you don't get caught off guard. But when they are the farthest thing from your mind, they are right under your feet or looking at you eye to eye only inches from your face.

What makes these Timber rattlers so bad is they don't rattle. If he is rattling at you your in strike range. Their first defense is camouflage and they are good at it. There in lies the problem.
When I was about 12 at my aunts one bit her dog and my cousin while we were playing. The dog died and my cousin dang near did. His leg was messed up for life.
Timber rattlers have had my attention every since.
That is why I like the 357 with every other round snake shot.

Threatened? I've been shot, run over and stabbed on different occasions, and I don't count misses. Been robbed and beat down by 3 Haitians with 2 sticks in the middle of the day in downtown Miami. Got pistol whipped by an old drunk and hit in the back of the head with a baseball bat by another, and sucker punched countless times. That was then and this is now, I'm 60 years old, lost my 70% of my strength on my left side, and have COPD. I will not and can't take another beat down because I think I'm tough. I still have a sledgehammer for a right hand, have the right to protect myself and my family, and refuse to cut and run or back down. I feel I'd be a dang fool not to be armed, I'll leave that to you guys.
CB, I hate snakes and kill every poisonous one I see. A bush ax or machete is my tool of choice, but I don't have one with me all the time.

Grit I tried carrying everything you could think of on tractors or UTV. This Ruger SP101 is the best thing I have found, you virtually can put it in the dishwasher.

Caustic Burno":2ixmi4v9 said:
Grit I tried carrying everything you could think of on tractors or UTV. This Ruger SP101 is the best thing I have found, you virtually can put it in the dishwasher.

I have a Ruger Service Six that I carry and hunt with during deer season sometimes. Are they the same gun different name?

Caustic Burno":2vge1ih8 said:
SP101 is a smaller frame than the old Security 6. It has a 5 round cylinder.

Mine is a Service 6 not a Security 6, the Security 6 has adjustable sights and Service 6 has fixed sights. Just a little trivia.

True Grit Farms":ocayz45l said:
Threatened? I've been shot, run over and stabbed on different occasions, and I don't count misses. Been robbed and beat down by 3 Haitians with 2 sticks in the middle of the day in downtown Miami. Got pistol whipped by an old drunk and hit in the back of the head with a baseball bat by another, and sucker punched countless times. That was then and this is now, I'm 60 years old, lost my 70% of my strength on my left side, and have COPD. I will not and can't take another beat down because I think I'm tough. I still have a sledgehammer for a right hand, have the right to protect myself and my family, and refuse to cut and run or back down. I feel I'd be a dang fool not to be armed, I'll leave that to you guys.
CB, I hate snakes and kill every poisonous one I see. A bush ax or machete is my tool of choice, but I don't have one with me all the time.

I sincerely believe your life experiences justify your philosophy regarding being armed. You probably put yourself in some risky places to have experienced the violence you described. Probably 75 % of the Users on this forum have never had a gun pointed at them with the intent to do harm in a domestic situation. I believe you are RIGHT in being armed especially if it provides you PEACE OF MIND. Peace of mind is one of the most precious states of security a human can enjoy.

Most of us have not experienced those threats. In my 67 years, I cannot think of one scenario where I needed to be armed.

"Most of us have not experienced those threats. In my 67 years, I cannot think of one scenario where I needed to be armed."

Didnt you mentioned something about some coal miners or mine owners that you had to have a armed guard or deputy for protection?

True Grit Farms":x43sdq67 said:
"Most of us have not experienced those threats. In my 67 years, I cannot think of one scenario where I needed to be armed."

Didnt you mentioned something about some coal miners or mine owners that you had to have a armed guard or deputy for protection?

Yes. But I was much safer not being armed. That was why the federal Marshals were there. Sometimes being armed ups the ante.

True Grit Farms":2c4skzzd said:

For a guy with a gun you sure get beat up a lot.

Bright Raven":2684lb87 said:
True Grit Farms":2684lb87 said:

Yes. But I was much safer not being armed. That was why the federal Marshalls were there. Sometimes being armed ups the ante.

Your responsible for your own safety. Most cops can't shoot very good, and especially under pressure.

TennesseeTuxedo":5uxdk03u said:
True Grit Farms":5uxdk03u said:

For a guy with a gun you sure get beat up a lot.

Never carried gun until I got married and had kids. I need to move along, good night.

True Grit Farms":1i4ao6sc said:
Bright Raven":1i4ao6sc said:
True Grit Farms":1i4ao6sc said:

Yes. But I was much safer not being armed. That was why the federal Marshalls were there. Sometimes being armed ups the ante.

Your responsible for your own safety. Most cops can't shoot very good, and especially under pressure.

I remember reading in Guns and Ammo, The American Rifleman or maybe the annual Gun Digest in the 1960s that a study conducted of the nation's top 5 Police Forces found that shooting skills were absolutely terrible. The study resulted in so much embarrassment that a national effort was made to improve shooting skills. I don't know how they are today but if you read some of the reports of gun battles between police and criminals, they often report "37 shots were fired and the criminal was hit 3 times". Yep. Better not count on the cops when it comes to marksmanship.

Good night, Vince.

I carry a S&W 642 Airweight 38 special. When bear hunting also carry a Taurus 8" 44 mag in a shoulder holster.
I have been threatened, shot at, beat up and left for dead. No more. Im glad there are places that are safe but here is not one of them. Drugs are the danger here now.

Dogs and Cows":1st7r9fn said:
Well, this has devolved into something I didn't want. I didn't ask for comments about why someone should carry...that can be for another conversation.

D and C why would expect less.
Same bunch giving the same opinion every time. Opinions are just like buttholes everyone has one and they all stink.

Caustic Burno":3eqinvwy said:
Dogs and Cows":3eqinvwy said:
Well, this has devolved into something I didn't want. I didn't ask for comments about why someone should carry...that can be for another conversation.

D and C why would expect less.
Same bunch giving the same opinion every time. Opinions are just like buttholes everyone has one and they all stink.

You hit the nail on the head right there.

Dogs and Cows":w3ifqmwe said:

Tim, don't complain, you are lucky someone didn't ask where Jimmy Hoffa went! Lol

Latest posts