Every Breed Is the Best Breed?

Help Support CattleToday:

KANSAS

Reaction score
As many of you may know I am in the process of purchasing a new herd of cattle, and have had a tough time trying to determine which breed to start with. My question stems from all of the information I recieve off of various sites found on the internet. It doesnt seem to matter where you look every breeder claims to have the lowest birth weight, great wean weight, above average cattle sales, highest gain, etc.. etc... etc.... in the industry....

I know this cannot be true, otherwise it wouldnt matter what breed you chose. I cant even think of one breed that doesnt claim these traits....

What gives? How can I make a decision when every breeder claims to have the best..... are there tell tale signs that I am not reading into that I need to look for?

In any given managemnt situation I'm sure every breed is the correct breed.
Review th MARC data, that's pretty much unbiased but a bit dry reading. Talk to others in your area that raise different breeds. Find out as much as you can about their managment styles/methods.
What sells in your area? The first thing you need to do is look to how you'll be marketing the calves. Seedstock bulls and or heifers, roping steers, direct marketing meat, selling finished sides, selling weaned calves at the local salebarn, private treaty, retaining ownership and selling to processors, etc. You have to know where you're going before you can start down the road to get there.
Most breeds are adaptable to most areas, and there are some in each breed that will do whatever it is you want to do. Some breeds may do it better, or individuals may do it better or worse. Go to as many breeders of different breeders as you can, go to fairs and farfest type events, anywhere that cattle are exhibited. You have to keep in mond that those that are being exhibited are mostly "show type" animals and have been pampered and pruned for looks.
You have to like the animals you have in your pasture. If you really have a thing for Herefords you sure won't be as contented looking out at a pasture of solid black cows. We raise all reds with just a couple hanger-oners of blacks. We prefer red to black. Quality cattle will sell well in most areas regardless of color. There are exceptions, but I think those exceptions are getting more rare.
Select the breed or cross you want to work with and go slowly at first. Once you have the money tied up it's hard to switch breeds.

dun

Every breeder is going to make these claims and for the most part their claims are probably true. If you don't believe in your breed (product) why would you want to raise it? All breeds have their good and bad traits or should I say their pros and cons. Yes, some breeds have easier calving, better weaning weights, better milking and mothering abilities etc. You probably need to pick two or three breeds that have caught your attention or that you like the most and then seek out farms or breeders and go and visit them to actually see these animals in their natural environments. It is probably a good idea to visit several breeders of any particular breed that you are interested in before making your decision. Also, decide what your main goal or objective is in getting into cattle raising. Are you going to raise beef animals for the market, breeding stock, commercial or registered stock? All of these need to be considered before making the leap. As I was talking to a fellow Longhorn breeder last week and we were discussing all of the work involved in breeding, halter breaking etc. the show animals and just the day to day chores involved in feeding etc.-"this is not for the faint of heart". In other words you have to like it and believe in what you are doing to be in the cattle business. Sorry to ramble on, hope this makes some sense to you. Good luck in whatever route you choose. :D

If you compare animals within a breed you will find a wider spread in what ever traits BW WW YW … then you'll find by comparing averages between Breeds. So there's a wider spread within a breed then there is on averages between breeds.
(Lord I hope that make sense) The trick is to find and breed the best of whatever breed. (The difference between great and good). Imho
Steve

sca10010":2ip0f4p6 said:
If you compare animals within a breed you will find a wider spread in what ever traits BW WW YW … then you'll find by comparing averages between Breeds. So there's a wider spread within a breed then there is on averages between breeds.
(Lord I hope that make sense) The trick is to find and breed the best of whatever breed. (The difference between great and good). Imho
Steve

I couldn't agree more. Every breed contains outstanding breeders, and those who are just replicating a phenotype.

dun":3jsr3bns said:
You have to like the animals you have in your pasture.
dun
Once you've done all your research, I think it comes down to what Dun said here. Pick the ones that you think are pretty.

Price might be an issue also. Depending on where you're at, prices in cattle (color, breed, etc) will vary as well. It may be that you'll find a breed that isn't as popular with all the traits you'd like, that are more "cost friendly".

Just make sure you get a breed that will make your $$$ back when you sell, either as seed stock or beef.

Latest posts