zvemic.jpg

2d9oa4w.jpg

125mjiw.jpg

sf9i0n.jpg

jf9lvl.jpg

2m48520.jpg

2z3szuw.jpg

1z33vpz.jpg

Good eats there.. My girls are complaining, they have to clean up leftovers for a while before they get moved.. they're quite vocal about it, and you'd swear they're starved to death by sound of their plight... I've found they always do that for a couple days, then they have to get busy and eat the leftovers, and don't have time to complain anymore... that's when it's time to move them!

And there is how you get those steep hillsides mowed!

Dirty Harry: I know what you're thinkin. Did he fire six shots or only five?

I know what everyone is thinkin. His cattle have too much condition. These are commercial cows. On grass. They get some mixed feed but not enough to contribute to their conditioning. TB checked the mixed feed (pellets) and it is low quality. I have 80 acres. I have 15 cows and heifers, 7 March born calves, and a bull. These are all bred cows and heifers. The open cows are separated and being AIed. The bull is 21 months old and first time in a herd. I AI so my best scenario is not to use him. That didn't work recently and he served 3 cows in this group. My herd has been in a pasture of about 20 acres since they came off hay. They came through the worst winter in 20 years and looked as good as the day winter started when it was over. So they went on pasture in good condition. I have 60 acres of pasture that looks like this that is untouched. I moved them onto this 20 acre pasture last night. Why? Because they had eaten the pasture where they were to the point I was concerned they would cause damage. My farm is steep hillsides but the pasture is first rate. Nevertheless, over-grazing steep land can start some bad erosion problems.

Branguscowgirl: She is one of the best but not the best. There is another cow in this group that you could breed to a donkey or Grandmaster and it don't make no difference. The calf always looks the same and is the best calf I sell every year. There is only four pedigree cows in these photos. The rest are just cows, albeit, from a couple of the best commercial cow makers in this area. That big fat cow (8th one down) with the pones on her butt, is a stockyard purchase that I started my herd with four years ago.

This is the best cow and the one you picked is a close second:
345bxfq.jpg

Very nice cows and pictures. I enjoyed looking at them. Thank you for sharing. Nothing is more peaceful to me than watching cows graze in the early evening.

Ron, They look great, grass looks great too, I would like a little clover but still great eating for a bovine. Also black cattle are money makers and great and all that stuff but you could add a bit of hotness to the pasture with at least 1 Red Female. I hope you don't discriminate against them like I do with those white tail cattle, :) .

FlyingLSimmentals":1ehwsok3 said:
Ron, They look great, grass looks great too, I would like a little clover but still great eating for a bovine. Also black cattle are money makers and great and all that stuff but you could add a bit of hotness to the pasture with at least 1 Red Female. I hope you don't discriminate against them like I do with those white tail cattle, :) .

Thanks. That grass is odd. Four years ago there was nothing but clover here. Not just there, everywhere. Everyone called it a "clover year". This year is odd in that down your way, clover was abundant but here the clover never really took off. Bigfoot commented how abundant it is in Western KY. Recently, the white clover started appearing and is now very thick in places. I wonder if it froze out??????

Black is almost all you see in this area. There are some GREAT angus producers here not just the Boyds. Over the years, the angus have dominated. Very uniform, most much bigger than what people on CT talk about. When I drive to my farm from Maysville, I pass Charlie Boyd every day. There are some fine herds of cattle on these rich soils here. The average black angus cow here must run 1600 to 1700 hundred pounds. I think even some look bigger. As I recall, Mason County KY is the number one beef cattle county in KY. I see herds so uniform, they look like they are cloned.

As you know, I am working toward some goals. My herd has a lot of Rocking P influence, Simangus. Larry Phillips is now a little older and the boys send him out to do the deliverys. I have had the pleasure to meet and talk with him. He is not much of a talker. :D Chan is very friendly and Keith is my go to guy. Dr Spears does their flushing and I have been invited but have missed him. He was my embryology professor at Morehead. He lives down in your area. Do you know him?

I doubt that I will go red. My goal is to move more toward a registered herd with some PB Simmental and my Simangus. I want to produce some of my own Simangus by AI of the PB simmental. I have one PB simmental (not in these pictures). She is a Fat Butt from Double Diamond. They are in the Cynthiana area. Shannon is out UK extension agent. Very well known and family friendship with the Phillips. All these big producers have roots that intertwine.

I have a lot of Built Right in my herd. I will probably always point toward the commercial side but it will be fun to sell something special now and then. BTW: That skunk tail is interesting. She is non-pedigree but I respect her. I never have an issue with her. She does her job unassisted. I have had her in the chute less than any cow I have. Her calves are leggy but grow good and in pounds I bet she is not far behind the HP/RP cows. She is pleasant natured but does want you petting her too much. I can scratch her tail but I will not get down and rub her navel like the simangus like. I think she would kick if you pushed her. The cattle from Phillips are so docile people would not believe me. I can pick the feet up on some of the calves like you can a work horse. Take care my good friend!

bward":2kos5y0k said:
Where is all the babies?

There are only four calves with this group. Most of these are fall calvers. Three are heifers due with their first fall calves. All are bred AI except the big older cow. She is bred to the bull I discharged from service in October 2013.

Some of the group got confused when I put them on the new pasture and took off with the four calves into the old pasture area.

Latest posts