Even I'm excited

Help Support CattleToday:

Bigfoot

Reaction score
We had an elementary school, and lost it
We lost the only restaurant
We lost both little country stores
We lost the garage

Then they built this. Not sure why, they picked our community, but Were all pretty stoked. Some how, we feel alive again.

Their building them everywhere I work for Coca-Cola we've got 3 new stores in our territory in the last year and half

We got Dollar General Market store a couple years ago. They have a little more than the regular stores.

They've built bout 5 of those in our county the last couple years. A couple of them are in more rural parts of the county, so they're really handy. Save a few trips to town.

I think around here there's got to be a law on the books saying that any group of dwellings large enough to be referred as a location either officially or unofficially shall have at least two varieties of dollar store. In fact there's one little town around the corner that has them across the street from each other.

They recently opened one in a little town near me and I have become a regular customer....but you should have heard the online whining by the come heres who wanted to shut the door behind them so they could fly down the country roads in their forty thousand dollar automobiles to get back to the city every day...they did not think a dollar general was upscale enough for them....actually talked about it lowering the property values....

A little bit of trivia, back in the 60 thru 90s kwik chek /winn Dixie was the walking dog in the South for grocery stores. In my area Montgomery AL had the premier distribution center with the early days of tine Davis having a large cattle herd and insisting on them being known as the beef people. I worked for them for 20yrs. the general mgr and VPs as well as a few other Corp heads in Montgomery were largely responsible for their sucess. The president of the company james kudfelt got cancer retired and died. The board hired the ex CEO of albertsons and he ran the company in the ground. He fired a whole bunch of these men in Montgomery. I ran into one of them and we had a long conversation before DG took off. He told me that several of them were working on a new venture and told me to call him in a few months. I was already in a new job and doing quite well. So I never bothered him. After I saw stores popping up a yr or so later I ran into a guy I knew from WD in the DG we talked and he told me how much money he had made when he bought DG stock for cheap when DJ and Ted bought into DG . I am still doing good but wonder sometimes if I should have called DJ back.

Dash sound about like my dad when the East Texas Oil boom was beginning. A group wanted him to join them as investors. Only took #$1500. I'm sure that was more than he made in a year. He didn't do it and of course the rest is history. He worked all his life kicking his own but.

TexasBred":3qppfs4o said:
Dash sound about like my dad when the East Texas Oil boom was beginning. A group wanted him to join them as investors. Only took #$1500. I'm sure that was more than he made in a year. He didn't do it and of course the rest is history. He worked all his life kicking his own but.

Yep, curiosity got the best of me after I typed it and I looked him up and he is still with DG in a upper management role.

Dollar General stores are popping up everywhere around here. We have 2 maybe 3 if the older location hasn't closed. Have a Family Dollar, and a Dollar Tree too. On the new stretch of by pass out on our end of the county, a new Dollar General and a Save A Lot grocery store has been built. As was stated by someone else, some folks complain about that here too, but they are convenient at times. We used to have a Winn Dixie, and a Piggly Wiggly, now dollar stores are among the occupants of those little shopping centers.

bball":6mc8gtxy said:
bball":6mc8gtxy said:
Dollar Generals growing everywhere....Walmart is closing some down..interesting!
http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/bus ... /78852898/

Edit to add: can't wait to see 'people of Dollar General' posts- will it be as intriguing as 'people of Walmart'?

I'd gladly pay just a little more to run in and out of a dollar general than go through Walmart. If they're anything like the folks at our Dollar General, you won't be disappointed. :shock:

I like the DG brand stuff, and I can be in and out of Dolla Gentral in less time than it would take me to find a parking space at Walmart. Plus, we had 2 stop signs, and the county road department came in and changed one to a yield, after we lost the school. The writing was on the wall, we were bout gone.

Latest posts