Estradiol for AI Synch

Help Support CattleToday:

At best, it's extra-label for use in an estrus synchronization - and even then, I think you're limited strictly to estradiol cypionate(ECP).

But...I'm not convinced that it's not completely off the table, but a quick search didn't find anything recent putting it in the prohibited category... but several years ago, I asked one of the reps for one of the compounding pharmacies, at a meeting, about availability of it - with the intent of using it in some virgin heifers.
"Oh, no, Dr. P., I can't sell you that...it's illegal in beef cattle!"
Even when I said, "Oh, I mean, I'm gonna use it in my wife's mare."(LOL), she refused to even consider letting me place an order.

CJohnson":1dioaeh6 said:
Is it legal to use this in a synchronization protocol for Beef cattle?

First, what is "synchronization protocol for Beef cattle?"

Secondly, how does word "legal" come into play here? Does this mean you can be sued for using the protocol on your own beef cattle or is "legal" just a figure of speech?

I assume when the term "beef cattle" is used it implies it's ok for use on dairy cattle but not on beef breeds. Why not?

Just trying to learn something here. :tiphat:

garyws":3br97ygt said:
CJohnson":3br97ygt said:
Is it legal to use this in a synchronization protocol for Beef cattle?

First, what is "synchronization protocol for Beef cattle?"

Secondly, how does word "legal" come into play here? Does this mean you can be sued for using the protocol on your own beef cattle or is "legal" just a figure of speech?

I assume when the term "beef cattle" is used it implies it's ok for use on dairy cattle but not on beef breeds. Why not?

Just trying to learn something here. :tiphat:

The product was banned for use in dairy cattle in this country (NZ) in order to meet export requirements for Europe, which did not want milk from cattle that had been given this hormone.
The blanket ban was for export reasons, to ensure no one could ever claim the product might have been used.
I'm unclear on the policy for using it on non-dairy cattle, or what the laws might be in the US. Obviously, if you used it on beef cattle you would not be selling their milk to Europe, nor would it be used on prime youngstock (who are not usually retained for breeding).

It becomes illegal when someone supplies you with a forbidden product, or you use a forbidden product in a way that could potentially contaminate the human food chain, or when you are found to have supplied an animal that has tested positive for this product. To the best of my knowledge this product cannot be detected in any form by testing female cattle it was administered to - perhaps LuckyP can clarify that - however that doesn't matter, Europe doesn't want it and it's still illegal to use it.
It's called: 'doing whatever it takes to keep your customer happy' even at risk of your own livelihood.

"synchronisation protocol for cattle' refers to the use of hormones associated with the estrus cycle that will manipulate a heifer or cow's estrus so that she is fertile at a convenient time for her owner to arrange for her to be bred. Estradiol is a form of estrogen. Without the use of synchronisation, the choices are a) run herd bulls or b) keep the cattle close to breeding facilities, observe them several times daily and cut out the females that come into heat as and when they come on and arrange for a person or specific bull to breed them.

That was long, but you appear to be questioning from a base of total ignorance so :tiphat: hope it helped.

Really good explanation. I didn't realize the stuff is a hormone. Didn't do my homework. I suppose the use of it would naturally apply to beef as well (in some countries). Thanks for your reply! :D

Latest posts