Equal opportunities III: a little levity

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":28ntbp0z said:
I see 60 lbs of hams on that girl. Ok, maybe 58 cause Hook will probably cut the feet off to pickle.
Missed this somehow. Pickled pigs feet is something I've never had the desire to try much less make myself

hooknline":2dakhqlv said:
Cost me more to raise one than I can buy it for usually. I didn't track this one and she was probably less. Maybe break even but much better fresh flavor

Understand. Is it genetics or the feed that makes the difference?

I doub it's genetics. Probably just the feed and the fact I don't push them to finish out in 6 months. Flavor seems to have more depth

melking":23z20tyr said:
Just curious, is that a normal ration between hoof weight and hanging weight?

In other words around 70%
65% is the avg if I remember right from that askthebutcher.com website. Ill double check that in a minute. The butcher said she was one of the better ones she's seen in awhile. Needless to say I'm pretty pleased and sold on the idea of not pushing them to finish so fast.

Quick google search shows 70-72% is common as high as 76 and as low as 65 depending on breed, age and sex

Commercialfarmer":24uetbv2 said:
hooknline":24uetbv2 said:
Cost me more to raise one than I can buy it for usually. I didn't track this one and she was probably less. Maybe break even but much better fresh flavor

Understand. Is it genetics or the feed that makes the difference?

Growth hormones and an extra dose of long lasting antibiotics the last 30 days. Out of this world flavor. Leave the fat extra thick on all cuts for more grease. :hide: