EQIP Program..... is it worth it?

Help Support CattleToday:

The Bachelor

Reaction score
The subsidy thread got me thinking about this.

I went and talked to the FSA about some conservation programs. I have about 60 acres that has a creek running through it and was thinking of applying for a subsidy to help get rid of some of the fencing costs.

They said the next go around won't be until a year from now and I need to have my application in by this fall. I was planning on starting on fencing this spring, but they said if I started, the land would be ineligible for the money.

I was just wondering peoples opinion on the EQIP program in general. Is this program worth the wait? Do they cover a significant part of pasture fencing if your fencing out a creek?

Thanks

EQIP paid for a significant portion of some fences for me and a neighbor. About 3-4 miles. Materials only.

Turned in the invoices and picked up the check the same day.

The split was 70% by them and 30% by me.

That was 4 years ago and haven't heard from them since.

The money was already appropriated and was going to be used by someone. Figured it might as well be me.

One of the drawbacks is the time lag. If something needds to be done quickly the wqit can be a problem. If it's somthing that getting it down soon won;t have a long term affect why not put in for it and see what happens?
I've never found the requirements to be all that restrictive on any of the programs that we've used.

dun

I am converting 40 acres into 8 paddocks using EQUIP funds. They are allocating up to $90/acre which is to be used for fencing, water, ditch work etc. I signed up 3 yrs ago and honestly had forgotten about it 'till they called. So far it seems to be pretty simple except you cannot make any changes for 5 years. There was some additional ground I wanted to incorporate but I wanted to plow up the fescue and seed in orchardgrass this fall. the agent said that would put me not be allowed.

Funny George, they subsidised me to kill 40 acres of fecue and put in orchard grass, clover, and Lespedesa. Wildlife friendly. Also some fencing and edge feathering.

It's probably worthwhile if you and the USDA are looking at the same results. Their programs are pretty specific, so make sure you understand what is expected of you before you apply. They are very strick about doing certain proceedures within a certain time frame.. even if the timing is not optimum.

There is a lot of variation in this program from state to state so ask local people how it has worked for them. Also you have to build things to NRCS specifications so make sure that you know what they are and that you can live with them.

I got approved for EQUIP last year. They paid half of a bunch of fencing I put in to get this place into more of a rotational grazing system, will be paying half for my lime, fertilizer, and seed that I'll be putting out by March 1. Not very restrictive at all. Like someone mentioned the money is there and someone is going to get it and it won't be you if ya' don't apply.

When my fencing was finished someone came out with a GPS unit and measured it all, made sure I put up what I said I was going to put up, and then a few weeks later they direct deposited half the cost into my farm account.

Only thing I really had to do was apply for the program and then save all my receipts for the materials which I'd do anyway plus had soil tests which I also would do anyway. Pretty easy.

J

JMichal":3adyl69l said:
Funny George, they subsidised me to kill 40 acres of fecue and put in orchard grass, clover, and Lespedesa. Wildlife friendly. Also some fencing and edge feathering.

I think "lespedeza" is what makes the difference. It's excellent quail, turkey and songbird feed. Orchardgrass and fescue, especially fescue, is the wrong habitat and food for wildlife. I've noticed a big change in what TDOT plants on Hway ROW's in recent years. A lot of lespedeza in the mix.

Latest posts