Enlarged area at the front chest cavity.

Help Support CattleToday:

coolpop

Reaction score
I have a cow pregnant with her 3rd calf (about 6 to 7 mths along). I noticed an enlarged area at the front chest cavity. There are not marks, scratchs, lumps, etc. The swelling seems to be coming from inside. We just weened her 2nd calf (steer born 1/4/11). She is not showing any signs of stress or pain. We have moved her to an area that I can keep a close eye on her. Any ideas?

*I have a photo but not sure how to post*

Congestive heart failure would be my first guess, or CHF secondary to hardware disease.

Had a cow with CHF she aborted her calf and then died about a month later (or we had to put her down really)

We are at 5000 ft and the cow had been all her life. Brisket disease is not always elevation induced.

I'm sorry, I should elaborate. The enlarged area is not at the brisket but behind the front legs.

enlarged_area.jpg

Thanks Dun for posting the picture. Anyone have ideas on what this is. The vet is coming out tomorrow. (he is a young vet but only one that will tend to cattle)

Does she have any swelling just forward of her udder a little to the sides of the centerline?

She doesn't have "defined" swelling" in front of her udder, but her belly is large and dropped like she is carrying the calf wrong. She keeps kicking and licking at her stomach. She hasn't shown any sign of stress, no fever, hasn't stopped eating, she is about 6 mths pregnant. In her past pregnancies you could see from the sides that she was with calf, this one her sides are more even. Never had one like this before. *very concerend*

If she was closer to calving I would think it was maybe edema in the milk system.

I'm just totally stumped and not too sure I trust what the vet will say tomorrow. Would love to find an ultrasound machine somewhere close to me. My husband would pitch a fit, but...it may be neccessary.

I had the vet come out Tues evening instead of waiting until today, he thinks she's had some trauma / impact to that area causing severe bruising and that this is blood gathering.....so I'm concerned that the areas on both sides are getting bigger, and how long can she continue to bleed internally. She is still eating, not showing any distress. The vet stuck a needle into the large area, blood only in the syringe. I guess nothing to do but wait and pray for her to get well. Anyone had this experience before?

Latest posts