energy

Help Support CattleToday:

A

Anonymous

This probably will sound like a stupid question, but here goes any way. How can you determine how much energy you get out of 20% protein tub. It has molasses but so does mineral and salt mixes. I perfer the extra energy plus a good supply of vitamins. What would you suggest?

[email protected]

> This probably will sound like a
> stupid question, but here goes any
> way. How can you determine how
> much energy you get out of 20%
> protein tub. It has molasses but
> so does mineral and salt mixes. I
> perfer the extra energy plus a
> good supply of vitamins. What
> would you suggest?

I can't answer your question, but I do know that protein and energy are two different things. Here in Wisconsin the dairy farmers grow corn for energy and raise alfalfa for protein. They grind and mix it in a TMR with the right mixture and feed it to the cows in confindment. I think the protein tubs are to increase the protein level for the poor quality hay. One needs about 12 to 14% protein. The energy value of the tub is another question.

[email protected]

What I have done to increase energy for our ranch feed ration is add 3% to the total ration energy as fat supplemented as soy bean oil, this has allowed me to not overfeed protien but has let me increase the energy to my developing cattle, as well it also reduced dust from the grain pellets as it comes out of the augar. Just plain soy bean oil, no fancy brand names, just 5 gallon generic soy oil.

[email protected]

Latest posts