Protein and/or energy

Help Support CattleToday:

Jim62

Reaction score
I generally keep a couple protein suppliment tubs out for the cows, especially in the winter and like now, when the grass is pretty well burned up. I figure that the grass and hay is good for roughage and whatever little nutrients it has, and the suppliment would take up the slack for lack of protein.

Now, along comes "energy" . I am told that while the way I feed does supply protein, that it does not supply "energy". I have always thought that protein was where energy came from. Have I been missing something?

The guy that tells me this says that he has had cows die from lack of "energy", in spite of being otherwise well-fed and in pretty good body condition.

"Energy" comes directly from carbohydrates (sugars & starches). The animal can use carbs, protein and fat to produce energy, but only protein can build muscle and organ tissue, this includes healing. Fat and protein will be converted to "energy" only if the animal needs it. Excess carbs, protein and fat are stored as fat. The body can not convert carbs or fat to protein, and this is a very important factor in growing and developing animals, or animals recovering from illness or injury. Cattle can take the nitrogen from the forage and convert it to protein. (Humans can't do this)

Those protein licks are designed to supplement poor quality forage and hay. They are full of sugar to entice the animal to use them.

Jim..how bad is the hay? You sort of made it sound like there wasn't much to it? May be more there than you realize. Feeding molasses tubs is the most expensive way to supplement cattle, but also one of the easiest if you have a hard time getting out to feed etc. Most are not that high in energy. A good 20% low fiber (10% or less) breeder cube along with a good mineral would work for you in your part of the country and requires no special equipment.

TN...don't think it's going to be feasible to feed much beet pulp this year. None at all hardly now and don't know what they expect from the new beet crop. Probalby still going to be awfully expensive.

TNMasterBeefProducer":3t96wmi4 said:
TexasBred":3t96wmi4 said:
TN...don't think it's going to be feasible to feed much beet pulp this year. None at all hardly now and don't know what they expect from the new beet crop. Probalby still going to be awfully expensive.

Yeah I know. Was just mentioning it as a high energy ration. That is what the feller I have a partnership feeds his show cattle. He cooks it up with some corn etc in a crock pot and makes kind of a mash and then feeds it.

Yeah and it turns out like my stew...I start out with "small intentions" and end up with 4 gallons. lol

Latest posts