Endophyte free fescue or Regular Fescue

Help Support CattleToday:

preston39

Reaction score
There has been several discussions on the topic. You may wish to do a search.

Even if you burn the fields(expensive and a lot of work) and do the free fescue many have experienced a rapid return of the endophyte in short order. It appears to be more dominate between the two. We have never considered it worth the costs and work. When we do a full till(because of other reasons) we use the free but I am sure based on studies of pasture management I have reviewed the endophyte returns.
Fescue can be hard ..I have read somewhere...on the animals
May to frost making them more sensitive to the hot sun thus causing them to spend more time in the shade.

Fescue 31 has been an excellent improvement in hardy pasture for decades even with its' draw backs. Thus the need for good herd management. Our pasture management plans are now focused on some of the new ryes and the newer OG(Baridna..sp?). We are on the north/south borderline for climate impact as I understand it and you may be too far north for sustaining some of the ryes.

Just some thoughts.

Tenn...,
Sorry neighbor. I just glanced up and saw Dayton and concluded it was Ohio. Should have at least questioned my conclusion with Ten. as part of your name. Some may call that a gray hair moment. ;-) LOL.

Latest posts