Empty nest syndrome

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Yesterday I helped my daughter move into her room at college. Didn't stay very long because I could tell she was ready to start a new chapter in her life. Me, I wasn't too sure I'm ready for this chapter. First time in 28 years I haven't had a child in the house. Its gonna be different for sure. Hope cattle prices stay high because I now have two in college. One thing I noticed about the college campus was everyone looked so young and the girls.....well they look much prettier than I remember them being when I was there. Must be that GMO food they are eating.

No, I'll probably up the syrup production and a few other things to pass the time. Might even build the herd up some. Probably need to do that to pay for all this then when they graduate I can sell most of them off and buy some fishing gear and start a new chapter in my life which I hope will include take some grandkids fishing.

Two boys in college currently..I feel your pain Jo...but I still have a 2 1/2 year old at home..long way off before my nest empties. :shock:

Was a shock when all the kids were gone, house cleaning was so easy. Now fast forward a few years here come the grandkids house is for sure a wreck, I never get to pick tv shows I like. As I type this I hear a 12 year old playing Xbox and laughing his head off. I would not change a thing I love it 7 grandkids later this old house and old Granddad has taken a beating. LOL RT

Good luck Jo, if I remember correctly it took me a few months to get use to an empty house, now flash forward some years, it's great! You are right about grand kids, they are a blessing and so much easier than kids...... They'll be at your feet soon. Another thing you said that sparked a memory, I also remember seeing some of the girls around campus when I was older and I remember telling my self at the time what a fool I was for being so picky and not getting to know more girls when I was their age.

I know what you mean its tough. but that is our goal to raise them to be independent. and can make it on their own after we are gone

Mine is leaving tomorrow . I am expecting it to not be soo bad.
She has weaned me slowly over the last few years, shes rarely around anymore anyhow.
Now the dog she is taking with her is another story- its going to be real odd not having it here aggravating me.

I know the feeling all to well. We just have one daughter and when she left for college I did not know if I could survive or not, but I did. Things will never be the same. I adjusted just knowing that she was happy. The years will go by in a hurry. Cannot believe it has been 15 years since she left for UGA! I will be thinking about you and your wife.

Howdyjabo":5adlv5g2 said:
Now the dog she is taking with her is another story- its going to be real odd not having it here aggravating me.

She left me her puppy since she isn't allowed to have one the first year. She intends to take him with her next year after I have grown attached to it and trained it. I don't know if this plan is going to pan out.

Williamsv":5adlv5g2 said:
Cannot believe it has been 15 years since she left for UGA!

The Georgia/Florida game will be interesting this year for sure. I guess if we attend the game we will need to sit in the middle of the field. :lol2:

I was referring to my daughter leaving 15 years ago to begin her college at UGA. The years have flown by. I hope yours enjoys it as much as mine did. She graduated from Pharmacy School in 2006. Did two residences and has worked seven years. That is where the years have been. Five in Athens, one in Augusta at the Medical College of GA, one in Greenville, S.C., one in Cleveland, Ohio, six in Charlotte, N.C. and in her second in New York City. It seems like only yesterday that she left for Athens.

Williamsv":2prkbri4 said:
I was referring to my daughter leaving 15 years ago to begin her college at UGA. The years have flown by. I hope yours enjoys it as much as mine did. She graduated from Pharmacy School in 2006. Did two residences and has worked seven years. That is where the years have been. Five in Athens, one in Augusta at the Medical College of GA, one in Greenville, S.C., one in Cleveland, Ohio, six in Charlotte, N.C. and in her second in New York City. It seems like only yesterday that she left for Athens.

I knew what you meant but once a bulldog always a bulldog right?

Have one at Florida and one now at Georgia so who do I root for? Probably best keep my mouth shut if they are around.

Jo, I know exactly how you are feeling... when the times comes, just do what we did and move them all back to the farm!! It sure is nice that the only neighbors we have are our children! And with the Grand babies, it just doesn't get any better!!

TN Cattle Man":7strwi14 said:
Jo, I know exactly how you are feeling... when the times comes, just do what we did and move them all back to the farm!! It sure is nice that the only neighbors we have are our children! And with the Grand babies, it just doesn't get any better!!

I wish I could but I believe I'll be the last generation on the farm. Our land has been in the family for over 100 years but they gotta do what will make them happy and the jury is still out and the fat lady hasn't sung just yet.

Nest isn't empty, boys are 8 and 10 but babe girl is a senior at University of Ar.
Was really tough when she left and tough every time she's home and goes back.
She's daddy's girl too and knows it.

john250":3nlxmtvo said:
Just try not to run her chicken business into the ground.

:lol2: :lol2: I'll try not to. She went and cashed in her chicken business and went and got herself a stock broker and parked all her savings in the stock market saying she wasn't going to need any money at college since her room and board are covered. She kept about $2000 for her estimated expenses the next four years and the way she's got it figured she'll have a good down payment for a house when she finishes when this is added to the income from her new venture. I have to hand it to her, she does have a good plan but I'm afraid to bust her bubble and tell her its not going to work as rosy as she things because this year she will be introduced to the IRS and her returns will be much lower than I think she has it figured.

Jo it will be alright I have a whole drawer of those empty nest T shirts.
Grand kids are more fun just swap them out for another one or send them home when you
want to play with someone different.
The best part about grand kids is you never get stupid in the teenage years.
Downside the little heathens are very costly and they multiply like rats.
The Mrs has great grand kids as I refused to go past grand.

Latest posts