Big Yellow Jacket Nest

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus

Reaction score
Have you ever seen a yellow jacket nest this big? Or in a tree for that matter. We plowed a fireline a few years ago and unearthed a yellow jacket nest. I assume, they formed in the tree and found ideal conditions so they never broke off to form more nests. The nest was 16' tall and roughly 36 inches in diameter. Almost hit it with the dozer. Doubt I'd be here today if I had hit it. I got a good pair of binocs out and stood back about 20 feet and looked at it. (Yeah, it takes so little to amuse me. :lol: ) It was like gazing into the bowels of hades. I can't imagine what it would be like to disturb a nest of this size. I'm told this was a mega nest and from time to time people are actually killed by them. Don't know about all this but am sure glad I didn't get into it.

Yellow.jpg

July 10, 2006
What is Causing Super-sized Yellow Jacket Nests?
Until recently, an insect expert could go an entire career without seeing more than a couple of yellow jacket nests larger than a basketball --- until now.

This year, entomologists with the Alabama Cooperative Extension System have encountered something previously unimaginable --- 16 super-sized yellow jacket nests throughout southern and central Alabama.

The size of these nests is like nothing they've ever seen.

"The nests I've excavated in the past were no larger than a basketball," said Dr. Charles Ray, an Extension entomologist and research fellow with Auburn University's Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology. "None of the 16 or so nests I've seen are nearly that small."

"Everyone I've talked to about this has never seen anything like it."

The largest he's personally seen so far filled the interior of a weathered 1955 Chevrolet (pictured right) parked under a shed in Elmore County. "And that's when they drove large vehicles," Ray stressed.

One nest encountered in an abandoned barn in Barbour County was roughly the size of a Volkswagen Beetle.

Equally astonishing, Ray says, are the numbers of yellow jackets buzzing around in these nests.

"A typical nest consists of two or three thousand workers and one queen," he said. "With these large nests, we may have as many as 100,000 workers."

One mammoth nest in South Carolina contained roughly a quarter million workers and as many as 100 queens.

Ray fears some of these nests may not even reach maximum size until late July or August.

One other finding has intrigued Ray and other researchers: the presence of satellite nests in close proximity to the large nest. No one is sure why these smaller satellite nests occur, though Ray speculates they may be prompted by space limitations in the large nests.

One thing is certain: The presence of these super-sized nests throughout the state presents a potentially serious human threat, especially later in the season.

"This is the time of year when yellow jackets are readily evident but very busy and not terribly aggressive," Ray says. "But it's very possible that later in the year, as these nests begin to decline, the insects will become more aggressive."

Anyone encountering one of these behemoths should not attempt to treat them with a can of bug spray.

"They won't work with these large nest, because unlike normal-sized nests, they have multiple entrances. There's also the likelihood of satellite nests," Ray says. "Besides, they're so large, we don't know how to get the pesticide material in them."

A far better alternative, Ray says, would be to contact a certified pest control operator.

Ray also encourages homeowners and others who encounter one of these super-sized nests to contact their local Extension office before treating it. He and his fellow researcher, Dr. Xing Ping Hu, an Extension entomologist and Auburn University associate professor of entomology and plant pathology, are trying to collect as much data as they can from these nests to gain a clearer picture of what is causing them and how they're best treated.

For now, Ray and fellow entomologists can only hazard a guess as to the causes behind this freak of nature.

"It's speculated --- and, again, this is only speculation --- that the very mild winter has allowed these nest to survive," he says. "Rather than starting spring with a single queen --- as yellow jackets traditionally do --- these nests are starting with possibly a couple of thousand workers and possibly multiple queens."

Even so, Ray concedes that this is little more than an educated guess.

"We're not really sure how this multiple queen thing works. It could be that the daughters of the original queen don't leave the nest or that the queens have developed some way to cooperate."

The likelihood that this year's mild winter is the primary factor behind this quirk of nature raises yet another question: Could global warming play a role?

"At this point, this is wild speculation on our part, but it's an idea that pops in one's mind," Ray said. "It's not beyond the realm of possibility."

If this is true and the result is milder winters for the foreseeable future, then super-sized yellow jacket nests conceivably could become a perennial problem, Ray said.

those are some BIG nests, bet it was like looking death in the face jogeephus.

When my youngest daughter finds wasp nests (not as large as the ones pictured), she takes my shopvac and a 20 ft long piece of plastic pipe and vaccuums the wasps up. If they are large and enclosed, she shoves the pipe just inside the nest and leaves it for an hour. The wasps are killed with they hit the diverter that's inside the shopvac where the hose goes in.

a few years ago I saw some wasps flying around our kitchen extention roof, called the exterminator and he put some stuff in a hole he found and told me to block up the hole and all along the flashing board, we did this, then decided to remove the roof and lay a new one, when we did we were shocked to find they had taken over, the builder said 'He had never seen one this big'. it was 11ft long x 8ft wide. and there were countless number of dead wasps inside. thankfully they have never come back. Wasps and Spiders are at the bottom of the list for me.

I've never seen anything like that before!

When I was a kid my friends and I used to search old barns & outbuilding for wasp nests. We'd knock them down for fun (entertaining ourselfs back then) and profit. One of my grandfathers would buy them ( a nickel for a small one and a dime for large one, maybe as big as your doubled hand) from us to use the larva for perch bait. We would have broke the bank this that one.

;-)

Looks like it's time for you to break out the blue spray paint!

dun

We've got a stand of pines behind the house, and I swear you can walk thru there and feel the ground vibrations. There is one heck of a bee hive in one of those trees. I asked hubby to take it down this winter... one son is extremely allergic to bee stings.

WOW!! sure glad you missed that one!! Forget about stingrays..We'd have read 'bout you in the papers.. :)

Yellowjacket nests??? Never seen anything like those in Texas! Are you sure you're not talking about "Hornets"? Our "yellowjackets" (also called in these here parts "wasps", "paperwasps," etc.) build round paper nests that are rather flat and hanging from structures...all of "wasps" are exposed to outside and you can easily see how many are on the "nest", "comb", or whatever.

Some types burrow in the ground...not sure what type those are.

Just curious as to the species of "wasps" y'all are talking about...

Running Arrow Bill":1nm2tbo3 said:
Yellowjacket nests??? Never seen anything like those in Texas! Are you sure you're not talking about "Hornets"? Our "yellowjackets" (also called in these here parts "wasps", "paperwasps," etc.) build round paper nests that are rather flat and hanging from structures...all of "wasps" are exposed to outside and you can easily see how many are on the "nest", "comb", or whatever.

Some types burrow in the ground...not sure what type those are.

Just curious as to the species of "wasps" y'all are talking about...

Yeah, I know what you mean. I was surprised to to see a yellow jacket nest in a tree - normally they are in the ground here. Some people call them ground wasps but most people call them yellow jackets. I don't know what kind you have, but ours usually are in the ground or in a rotten stump. If you disturb them, they will swarm on you for hundreds of yards. There sting hurts pretty good but it is not till a few hours later that the true pain begins. Then there is the itching a day or so later.

Ours are bright yellow with black bands on their abdomen. They are mean and relentless.

I walked by this tree four times before I saw them. I'm just glad they didn't swarm me then. I don't think I would have made it.

My theory on why they are in the tree is that we V-bladed a fireline next to the tree three years earlier. I think we unearthed the nest and they got in the tree. If you look at the nest closely, you will see three distinct "growth patterns" in the nest. I believe that due to the mild winters, they got in the tree and just found an ideal habitat and did not have to break off. Fortunately, a bear or something got into the nest this spring and tore it all up and they are gone - I hope.

I thought about painting the nest blue like Dun suggested but I thought I'd reserve all my blue paint for snakes. By the way, do ya'll think orange would be to bright for alligators? I got one I'm thinking of painting.
GatorDeer1.jpg

Whatcha think?