Employees Stealing Time

Help Support CattleToday:

cowboy43

Reaction score
I know none of you are guilty of this because all of you are hard working Americans. That is how you ask a politically correct question where it does not offend anyone . I worked for years supervising employees and watching employees in other departments. What I observed was how much time was abused by employees doing these things: too many smoke breaks, rest room breaks, paying personal bills, personal phone calls, searching internet, personal e-mails, eating snacks or drinks, personal conversations with fellow employees, outside employees would drive 15 minutes to a restaurant take 1 hour lunch then drive 15 minutes back to job site, after leaving office each morning would stop at store to get drink or eats, stop numerous times a day at store to get drink ,stick their trucks so they would have to wait for someone to come pull them out , leaving office late and getting in too early , Example: Employee makes $15 an hour = .25 a minute, 30 minutes a day wasted time =$7.50 a day stolen time X 5 days a week = $37.50 a week X 52 weeks = $1950 a year stolen time , then when raise time or bonus comes he think he deserves a raise or bonus but he has already gotten a $1950 bonus . This is what I observed in my 42 years in the work force, it is bad when done at a personal company, but it is worse when that persons salary is being paid for by the tax payers, they are stealing from you and themselves.

yeah, people are just LAZY. Getting their truck stuck on purpose? That is exceptionally lazy. I wouldn't even believe that except why would you make it up. I worked in off farm jobs on occasion during high school and what some of my co workers got away with was just ridiculous. Makes those who do work hard wonder "what's the point?" especially when those who slack off don't get punished or even spoken to for it. At least we can take comfort in out conscience. Cowboy, I can see how this would drive you nuts, seeing it day in and day out :? :mad:

I am on the clock right now. So far I have confirmed that my income tax return hasn't hit the bank, but the money I spent in anticipation has. I have found the recipe for chicken parmesan, and found on yahoo the 8 ways to tighter abs (apparently caring enough to do more than read about it is required), and I read about John McCains wife being against people against gay marriage even though her husband is pro the anti.

TGIF.

angie":1d2q7dg9 said:
I am on the clock right now. So far I have confirmed that my income tax return hasn't hit the bank, but the money I spent in anticipation has. I have found the recipe for chicken parmesan, and found on yahoo the 8 ways to tighter abs (apparently caring enough to do more than read about it is required), and I read about John McCains wife being against people against gay marriage even though her husband is pro the anti.

TGIF.
Me too. Did you read about the German schoolkids that drank a bottle of hot sauce 200 times hotter than tabasco and had to go to the hospital?

ga. prime":9h3t7ud2 said:
Did you read about the German schoolkids that drank a bottle of hot sauce 200 times hotter than tabasco and had to go to the hospital?
Not yet ~ but if I ever decide to take up tennis, I will know what not to wear.

Stupid German kids, don't they know that they are biologically challenged with anything hotter than ketchup?? :roll:

Multi tasking. I am sitting in my BR reading this and debating on whether or not to respond.

If I could hire someone who saved me over ten times his/her salary each year, and increased my income by even more, I wouldn't be worried about trivial things. If that same employee was offered three times that salary to go elsewhere and decided to stay in my company, I'd be appreciative. Especially even more so if that employee was supportive of peer moral, helpful in getting his peers over the hump when they were stuck, had a good attitude, and could be counted on 24/7 to support my needs in a pinch.

If I could hire someone that routinely made mistakes, or did not support the company's needs and goals, or did not not increase profits or company reliability, or flailed and worried about what everyone else does during the day, snuck in and watched them - I'd rather pass.

Team players contribute. They get the job done. They boost the morale of their peers. They have a positive get er done attitude and they can be counted on to have your back when the chips are down. Check out the Dilbert cartoon strips. The truth hurts so doggone bad it is funny. All you can do is laugh about it.

angie":33u7oucn said:
ga. prime":33u7oucn said:
Did you read about the German schoolkids that drank a bottle of hot sauce 200 times hotter than tabasco and had to go to the hospital?

Stupid German kids, don't they know that they are biologically challenged with anything hotter than ketchup?? :roll:
:D Right, what Serena's got on. How 'bout that British bobsled girl that busted out the back of her tights on the push off?

Ga Prime. I don't suppose you have the link for that . Maybe you could post it for us all to critique.

I'm pretty much on board with backhoe, we have a small business, I get to do most of my work from home and my wife works the business... (I'm eveything from the gopher, to tax prep guy, bookkeeper and personell director.ect,ect.ect.) If we catch a staff member on the internet it's a quick ticket out the door in most cases. But if we have someone who makes us money and is dependable plus honest it's alot easy to turn the eye else where, same with excessive personal phone calls.... they are tying up a money line. But we don't sweat the small stuff, I try to not hire smokers, for reasons including the need for breaks and a few more reasons. But I don't care if a couple of staff are standing around BSing if the job gets done and they are valued staff. We also give simple perks, such as I'll bring in a couple of pizza's, or milk shakes on a hot summer day, cookies, etc. So I'm not all bad.

When I was in my early 20's I worked for the State of Oregon, after a couple of months a couple of co-workers suggested going across the street to get a beer (on company time). I was a little hesitant but went with them, the pub was full of state workers from our building, including a lot of the big wigs. It was just a simple wink and a nod. :roll: :roll: Through my years in management and owning our own business I have prefected the fine art of making someone quit when they walk the line, when they cross the line it's an easy call..... It's my wife's and my money.

Angie & ga. prime, I oftened wondered how many folks on CT go to work and spend their time and someones elses money to BS here? Well at least it's not my money unless you work for the feds.

Alan

ga. prime":1pn4cwn9 said:
How 'bout that British bobsled girl that busted out the back of her tights on the push off?
Sorry, missed it. Hard to feel sorry for someone that sleds in tights.

Noticed that Big Foot has been sighted once again on a game camera in northern Mn (I have a theory on that, but MM has her lawyer breathing down my back for defamation so I had better just :secret: ).
Still looking for stats and injury lists for the game this weekend, :cowboy: reports we have 3 injured.

angie":plwhhdml said:
Still looking for stats and injury lists for the game this weekend, :cowboy: reports we have 3 injured.

I'll have a talk with my 'boy's about that. :D Hopefully old man Favre aint one of 'em?

Its going to be an interesting game. No emotional investment either way. Just a good game to watch. Saw both of them play the 'boys.

Congratulations on your pick up of the kid from Alvarado. He killed the 'boy's in that game and came right out of their back yard. He wasn't that great in HS. I saw him play ratcheer in my home town against my home team. He was pretty impressive last week.

The saints will make Favre look his age. I like Favre, but they won't be able to keep up with the saints.

I'm a manager - so I will work any amount of hours that it takes to get my job done. In our busy season that means coming in on the weekends and late during the week. I don't mind; I've never been paid by the hour, always salaried, so I'm used to that aspect. My check will always be the same. I have, and will continue to, terminate hourly employees who steal time. Case in point: We're a small (in busy season 100 employees) plant. I had an hourly operator clock in early in the morning and then go sit in the breakroom for 30 minutes or so until everyone officially started work. He's not very smart because I can review all of the time on my computer, and we have security cameras everywhere. To me this is totally different than a salaried person taking a "break". I fired the guy in question. If salaried employees get excessive with their "idle" time, I normally just talk to them. Hourly, though, is totally different in my opinion.

Go Saints!!!!

I'm not going to say the Vikings are going to win but I think they have a decent chance. It seems nobody thinks the Vikes can stop the Saints on offense. Excuse me, did anyone watch them play the Boys? They shut down that powerful offense and made them look pitiful. I'm not saying they will shut the Saints down but I think the defense will hold up better than they are getting credit for now. The pass rush is going to get to Brees. It all depends on how fast he can get the ball out that's going to be the deciding factor. I don't think there will be the deep balls like we typically see from the Saints. They won't have enough time to sit in the pocket and wait for things to develop down field. As for Favre, he's playing better than anyone, including myself, ever expected. It seems every week there are doubters out there saying this is the time he is going to let the team down. It may happen but he's been playing well nearly the entire season, I don't see it changing. I am hoping Peterson can find some running lanes though. He hasn't been himself the second half of the season. If they can get the ground game going they have a very good chance at winning it all. I hope the Vikes can rise to the occasion and play the way they are capable. I really don't know if I can handle another letdown like '98. Been a fan for too long. We gotta win one before he77 freezes over right?

I am on the clock too right now as I am reading posts , shopping on line, checking my FB account and I did a little banking too. I have down loaded a lot of pics using tons of the bosses wireless bites. I really do not care as my boss is a real witch and doesn't pay me what I am worth :roll: . I would quit, but hey the perks are great. :p I might just take off to do a little grocery shopping in a bit. :D

BTW, I really wish whomever drinks the last of the coffee all the time would make another pot at least once.. ;-)

You guys stealing money to chat are totally hijacking this thread..... and we all know that with Payton Manning it does not matter who shows up, Colts all the way...... Grandpa Farve will get picked a part Sunday.

Alan

Alan":2u9dotd1 said:
You guys stealing money to chat are totally hijacking this thread..... and we all know that with Payton Manning it does not matter who shows up, Colts all the way...... Grandpa Farve will get picked a part Sunday.

Alan

Well, you be happy to know that I have to get off the computer now and do some real work.... :roll: It is amazing how fast one can get things done when they want to waste time doing all the "important" stuff, like surfing the net.. :p

angie":bce6pi67 said:
ga. prime":bce6pi67 said:
How 'bout that British bobsled girl that busted out the back of her tights on the push off?
Sorry, missed it. Hard feel sorry for someone that sleds in tights to.

Noticed that Big Foot has been sighted once again on a game camera in northern Mn (I have a theory on that, but MM has her lawyer breathing down my back for defamation so I had better just :secret: ).
Well, she's on the British Olympic team so it's probably required to wear the tights.

No bigfoot sightings down here in a while. Usually what happens here is someone will discover extremely large footprints like a size 34 in the mud and take a picture that gets put in the local paper. I don't know of anyone that's actually claimed to have seen bigfoot. Go Vikes!

angie":2pehgmc1 said:
ga. prime":2pehgmc1 said:

I know that's right, with my German/Danish/Nordic background I don't even like black pepper.

Latest posts