Embryos

Help Support CattleToday:

franseen

Reaction score
Can anyone let me know how much I should pay for 5 good embryos from purebreed Limousin cattle. I have nothing specific in mind. Just curious. Thanks.

A neighbor that does mostly ET with his limo cows pays from around 250 to the skys the limit. Seems like the skys the limit to me, but the most he's claimed to pay was 1500.
He's in it for the tax rightoffs though.

dun

I never can get any for 250. most of the ones I have seen sell that were good ones ( Pedigree) usually start at 350.00 and go to 500 or so .. anything over 500 is high and under 300 is cheap. Now there is a few that will got over that , like 750 or so .. They can get pricey if they are the right blood line .

Polled bull. Thanks for the reply. I am looking for something from a dakota daughter if possible. Crossed with well I am not sure yet. Not to crazy over hom black. Homo polled though would be nice. I would also like the sire to have a ribeye epd in the top 20 percent of the breed. Above .27 or so. Anything ideas would help. Looking to get some good replacements or a decent herd sire out of these embryos. We AI agressively and we have a lot of Guardian in our herd. Thanks.

franseen":38hu5b6y said:
Polled bull. Thanks for the reply. I am looking for something from a dakota daughter if possible. Crossed with well I am not sure yet. Not to crazy over hom black. Homo polled though would be nice. I would also like the sire to have a ribeye epd in the top 20 percent of the breed. Above .27 or so. Anything ideas would help. Looking to get some good replacements or a decent herd sire out of these embryos. We AI agressively and we have a lot of Guardian in our herd. Thanks.

We own the BGRT Proper Choice bull , I have some embryos that I would consider selling . Contact me for more info or go to our website at http://www.howardbrosfarms.com .

$500 seems to be a pretty solid price for quality embryos. You can get them cheaper, but it may be some pretty old genetics. I ran the numbers on ET and the cost per calf (based on a 50% conception rate) was around $1,500. Which based on today's cattle market may not be that bad of a deal.

Thanks for all the helpful posts. What is the average rate of success (cows calving the embryo)? I haven't been around embryo transplant since I was in first grade and my dad flushed some of our holsteins when we milked. Thanks again.

polledbull":3qfra21p said:
fresh transferred 65%
frozen transferred 50%
with grade 1 embryos . can vary alot too. these are averages.
Some real good embryologists will tell you that 70% is a good average for fresh embryos, and 65% is a good average for frozen.
It will vary on the tech and the quality of embryo.

J. Zeagler":1megycgw said:
$500 seems to be a pretty solid price for quality embryos. You can get them cheaper, but it may be some pretty old genetics. I ran the numbers on ET and the cost per calf (based on a 50% conception rate) was around $1,500. Which based on today's cattle market may not be that bad of a deal.
I think 1500 is to high for a per calf price . I figure if a flush cost 275$ and you recover 8 embryos. say you put in 5 and freeze 3.
5 X 75.00 to transfer=375.00$
3X 50.00$ to freeze =150.00
flush include drugs = 275.00$
total = 800.00$

with 60% conception = 3 pregnancies
525.00 divided by 3 calves = 175.00 each ( dont count the cost to freeze the 3)
you still have 3 frozen embryos in the tank . this does not include boarding for the donor if you send her to a ET center. boarding usually is around 4.00$ per day . 35 days x 4.00 = 140.00$
add this to 3 calves and you get another 45.00 per calf
total comes to $220.00 per calf when it hits the ground .
This was the way we fiqure it and we flush quite a bit and are currently in the process of starting a custom donor boarding facility in conjunction with a top embryologist here on the east coast . These figures are straight off the 2005 price list. There are variables , some flushes dont work . some cows dont flush , ect... these figures were on a good flush .

Thanks Polledbull. You seem to have a lot of knowledge about embryos. The bull you posted about earlier. I like the fact that his pedigree is an outcross to anything in our herd. I really like his epds, but his carcass epds are a little of from what I am looking for. Don't get me wrong I see that the accuracies are low. They could improve. Did you scan him as a yearling. Have you scanned any of his progeny. Just wondered. Thanks for the help on the embryo questions.

Polledbull,

I was basing my costs on buying the embryos and placing them in someone else's cows and buying the calf back at .15 over market. Sorry I didn't clarify. Thanks for the information though!

JZ

Most ranches I have visited with will guarantee 50% conception if you use a certified embryologists. What are others experiences?

sidney411":2urd2bky said:
That all seems like a real expensise way to get calves. Are there any guarantees when you pay that much for embryos?

When you buy an embryo package the usually gaurentee 2 pregnancys per 3 embryos. The two magic catches are, pregnancys not calves, and they also have the disclaimer about having to be implanted by a certified emryologist/technician.

dun

franseen":3cgz69yc said:
Thanks Polledbull. You seem to have a lot of knowledge about embryos. The bull you posted about earlier. I like the fact that his pedigree is an outcross to anything in our herd. I really like his epds, but his carcass epds are a little of from what I am looking for. Don't get me wrong I see that the accuracies are low. They could improve. Did you scan him as a yearling. Have you scanned any of his progeny. Just wondered. Thanks for the help on the embryo questions.
BGRT Proper Choice scanned the largest ribeye in Denver in 1999. It was a 16.0 .He was the lead bull in the Begert Ranch pen of 3. He was the top selling bull in Houston in 1999 selling for 25,000.00$ for Half intrest. We have not scanned any progeny ourselves from him. I will add that he is the top choice for HB HP outcross bulls in the breed.As of last fall he had over 400 progeny in over 40 herds nation wide,. I think his epd speak for him self.He is in the top 1% of the breed for scrotal and milk epd. top 3% on YW epd. We feel he is certianly one of the most proven HB HP bulls out there. visit our website http://www.howardbrosfarms.com . I hope to hear from you and that you find this information useful.

Embryo's are and excellent way to make use of good genetic cross. As already stated they will average about 50% preg. and range from 300 to 500 per egg. I would suggest that you be certain as to what method the eggs were frozen. In this area a 3 step thaw cost between 100 to 150 dollars each to put in where the direct thaw egg will hit you for 40 to 50 each. I dont think there is any diffdrence in the conception rate just in the amount of time you have to pay the vet/embryologist.

Latest posts