Embryo Transfer for Newbies

Help Support CattleToday:

YoungAngusCattle

Reaction score
I just picked up 4 conventional OCC Juneau x Donna embryos from Coleman.

I have never done any ET work in my herd. I have a good embryologist a few miles from me so I figured I'd take a leap of faith.

Any tips for a beginner?
What are the most important factors that you think effect conception rate?

I've never done it so I don't really know but I would think having suitable recipients would be on top of the list. I have heard of people using heifers as they don't have an existing calf on them and easy to setup and heard of people horrified at the idea of using heifers. I would certainly like a recipient to have plenty of milk.

Ken

Heifers are unproven mothers and first time calvers have the highest rate of calving difficulties but their uteruses are perfect as they are in a perfect state ready to go. Proven third calf cows would be best as they are past those first two difficult pregnancies. Choose fertile cow families to pick your recipients and make sure they have good minerals for at least a month before implant. You also want them on a rising plane of condition. Quiet cows that are used to being handled is a big help.

I should add choose cows that had a good calving experience with their last calf, no retained placenta or difficulty as they seem to take extra time to clean out and that is a bad starting point. I would even give them a little extra time from last calf to time of implant.

You want good mothers that milk well and take good care of their calves. On your end, you want to have a good mineral and nutrition program if you want good results.

Run your recipients through a synch program and make sure they show a good heat on the scheduled day. You'll want to make sure you set up more potential recipients than embryos, so your embryologist can pick the ones with the best ovarian structures.

Excellent points use proven maternal cows that have plenty of milk. If your using Coleman be sure to use a certified embryologist they guarantee a certain number of calves but require work is done by a board certified embryologist. You get higher conception rates using conventional eggs than you get usin IVF eggs. Good luck the Donna cow family is excellent.

Gizmom

Just put 4 in this morning. 3 IVF and a conventional. Cows ranged from 2yr old to 5yr old. All proven good mothers, and a few carried eggs for me last year.

Latest posts