Embryo options

Help Support CattleToday:

What'sMyBeef

Reaction score
Looking to put embryos in a few cows this year to create my own cleanup bulls for 2022. Thought I had a source lined up for them, but they changed their mind at the last minute. Anyone ever deal with ABS on anything like this? My ABS rep is looking into it, but not getting me answers very fast. We will A.I. the other cows on Monday August 10, so I need to know something before then. Using home-raised cleanup bulls now. Rather not keep doing that.

Looking for maximum growth and maximum carcass quality. Everything gets sold on a grid. They're all cleanup calves, so no calving ease, milking ability or phenotype concerns for the daughters. Angus, SimAngus or Balancer bulls would work. First source waited several months to back out on me at the last minute.

Thanks for any help.

I'm not aware that ABS does embryos currently. I did see them buy some females in sales this past spring which made me assume they were headed in that direction.

I'd say look up registered seedstock breeders in your area. I'd be shocked if you couldn't find someone to point you in the right direction and maybe be able to supply you both the embryo and do the ET itself.

Most embryos produced with sexed semen are going to be female. With non-sexed, you will average 50% bull calves. How many cleanup bulls do you need and how many embryos will be required to produce those bulls? Not all will result in a calf.
How many of the bull calves born will be good enough quality for a cleanup herd bull? How much are you expecting to pay for these embryos? Good genetics cost more and then are still hit and miss on producing a herd bull quality animal and there is cost to develop to breeding age. My opinion - look at purchasing your cleanup bulls from a reputable breeder where you can select based on individual performance/phenotype.

Thanks for the help, everyone. Talked to a SireBuyer rep Monday morning, midway through timed A.I. as I was recording data and prepping guns. We left a few recip candidates un-bred as they came through the chute, just in case embryos were an option for them. He had some embryos that fit what I wanted.

Another embryo owner texted while I was on the phone with SireBuyer and had some for me, too.

Then, right as we finished breeding, my ABS rep heard back from headquarters. They have a program where they assemble terminal beef bulls to use for dairy beef semen sales. The bulls that don't make the final catalog are available to purchase. Just got that order placed this morning. Now I can send the two home-raised cleanup bulls to town and replace them with numbers that fit my needs.

T & B farms said:
There are a lot of really good bulls to be bought for 4-5000$. Do the math and you will find your not saving a penny.

Agree with T&B. If you're having to buy embryos, prep the receps, and then pay the embryologist, you're going to have a chunk tied up before the first calf is born. Then, depending on the embryologist and how good he is, you may have a 75% birth rate. I'd seriously look into a good bull instead of going the embryo route. It's a lot of work, time consuming and can be expensive.

Latest posts