Angus bull options

Help Support CattleToday:

Col Reb

Reaction score
I need a little insight & advice, please. I have a small herd & work full time. Knock on wood I haven't had to pull any calves which is a good thing because I can't be at the farm all day watching & waiting due to my schedule. I am currently running an Upward bull & am keeping heifers from last year & this year. All angus cows. Commercial herd. I was thinking of buying a Resource bull to use on my heifers & was super stoked until I started reading about some potential calving issues. I've looked at his epd's & from
what I'm reading on here he could have some calving issues. The farm that I buy my bulls from all AI there cows. They currently have 3 to choose from: Raindance, Objective, & Resource. Can I get some opinions, please. Would be much appreciated. At this point in my venture calving ease is priority.

Col Reb said:
I need a little insight & advice, please. I have a small herd & work full time. Knock on wood I haven't had to pull any calves which is a good thing because I can't be at the farm all day watching & waiting due to my schedule. I am currently running an Upward bull & am keeping heifers from last year & this year. All angus cows. Commercial herd. I was thinking of buying a Resource bull to use on my heifers & was super stoked until I started reading about some potential calving issues. I've looked at his epd's & from
what I'm reading on here he could have some calving issues. The farm that I buy my bulls from all AI there cows. They currently have 3 to choose from: Raindance, Objective, & Resource. Can I get some opinions, please. Would be much appreciated. At this point in my venture calving ease is priority.

Can you post the AAA numbers?

mature cows, any should work.
Theres 2 sides to the numbers of the bulls, AAA numbers will be a big plus, add genomics even better.

Don't have Resource aaa number yet but was told that the cow is +1 bw & he's a +4.6. No other numbers available . The old cows will be fine. More concerned about heifers. Don't have any numbers on my Upward bull that I have been using, either. Right now Rampage is standing out as best all around option. Objective I think would be best calving ease bull but Rampage has him beat everywhere else.Thanks for the help.

bse said:
the Objective is out DDP, wouldn't use the Rampage on heifers.
So are you saying you would be out on the objective? DDP? I checked aaa & it says DDF. Just wanting to clarify.

I looked at the papers it says DDP not DDF if its the right number 19402918 Denson Objective Duty 0119. Means he has the potential for the DD genetic defect. Can be cleared with a test. IMO as a breeder that should never happen these animals should be free before there offered.

So I'm still confused. Where did you find it says DDP & why does his info under his registration number say DDF? Do you have to look further to find out all info on a registered animal? Not trying to be smart at all. Just need to know for looking at future bulls.

Is it because somewhere along the line there was a genetic defect? I looked at the original epd's on Rampage in ABS directory & his says DDF. I had the understanding that if it says DDF that there's not a genetic defect potential.

Objective OT26 is DDF, but his son, the Denson Objective bull is DDP (from his dam's side.. she is DDP). Quick test would prove the bull clean or not as bse mentioned above.

kdhansen said:
Objective OT26 is DDF, but his son, the Denson Objective bull is DDP (from his dam's side.. she is DDP). Quick test would prove the bull clean or not as bse mentioned above.

Thanks for explaining.
I have checked a little more into Rampage & I see where lots of people used him to breed heifers but haven't heard of a lot of problems. Can anyone give some feedback that might have used him on heifers? These folks that have the farm are some good friends of mine & have helped me tremendously over the years so don't want to be the one that asks them to pull blood on the Objective bull or go to any extra trouble because they are so good to help me when it's time to vaccinate & steer calves or have a cow down. It would be different if I was buying from someone else. I would definitely be more particular with my selection.

Your not using Rampage, a Rampage son numbers are different. Rampage has CED of 9 BW 2.6 the bull your looking at has CED of 6 BW 2.1 he may or may not be ok for heifers, certainly not a sleep all night heifer bull.
Friend or not wouldn't dictate how I manage my cattle.
Just being honest i wouldn't use either. Maybe the Resource is the one.

We usually want a 1.0 BW epd and an 8 CED to use on virgin heifers. If that is your priority, I would look to be even more conservative than that.

Latest posts