Elk Hunting

Help Support CattleToday:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
We got drawn for elk this year... noone in the party (4) has ever hunted elk before, but we do know the basics. lol. Can anyone help me with this? Any tips would be appreciated, and also, what is a good elk rifle???? A .308? A .300 MAG?

Thanks

Angus Cattle Shower":2r3gmwyg said:
what is a good elk rifle???? A .308? A .300 MAG?

Thanks

Either will work well and both have killed a lot of elk-- the .300 mag might be a little better elk gun- but the .308 is a much better all around gun that you could use a lot more and get much more proficient with...

Shot placement is more important than bullet size or energy with any game...The oldtimers used to have a saying" "fear the one gun man"- meaning that the fella that uses one gun for everything probably knows how to use it much better than the guy that has to dig out a special gun for every different task......

Scout the area you are going to hunt and learn their habits. Elk are very repetitive so once you learn where they are in the mourning, where they bed down (this may be a few different places) and where they go at night to eat it makes it easier. They can smell you but you should be able to smell them when you get into them. They usually run in herds. Once you get into a herd keep track of the one you are shooting at and keep shooting, elk can travel a long way wounded. Bullet placement is most important but I'd go with the 300 Mag.. I like 30-06 myself but just go with what you are use to that has good knockdown power. If you're hunt is during rut learn how to bugle and cow call. One other thing, elk may run around in a circle trying to figure out witch way to run, when they figure it out they go for it and seldom change course.

Happy hunting. :D

I just turned 14, and Im looking at buying a gun... a neighbour has a .300 MAG with a Leupold scope on it for 700 or i can go to a gun store. I'll probabally go with a .308 (same as Dad) or the .300.

Ill try that, thanks. Any other tips on how to find elk?

Sorry Heritage_Farmboy but this time I have to disagree. I'd like to say use any caliber with knockdown exept 7mm mag. Load them any way you want, they look good on paper but you will chase alot of game. 7mm doesn't seem to deliver the shock it takes to put an elk down well. 7mm is to fast and just goes thru.
Oldtimer, I type so slow I didn't see what you had down. I agree, I have shot elk, deer, antelope, bear, coyotes, raccoon, fox, crow, prairiedogs, porcupines and lots of other stuff with just my good old 30-06. Getting to know what you shoot matters most.

The .308 is more then adequate, but you have to be more selective with your shots. It just doesn't have to power required to drive a heavy projectile through a lot tissue to reach the vitals. The 22 rimfire has killed a lot of deer, but it isn;t expected to drive bullet through the ponch to get to the heart/lung area.
But the 300 win mag has a lot of recoil that can be a problem.

dun

I don't think that the recoil will be any problem at all-Ive shot it before and it diddnt seem to have any more kick than Dad's .308, but it may justr be because Im a big kid (5'11 210 lbs) so it doesn't really bother me much. lol.

Make the first shot count-you may only get one. Put it in the boiler room.

Ive never shot a 7mm-how much stopping power is in it?

I shot a cow with a .243 last year. Dropped and killed her in one shot. Don't matter the gun, just shoot him good. Elk aren't like deer, elk travel far and fast when they get moving. Its a right place at the right time deal. Congradulations on getting drawn too. I just turned 16 and got drawn for a buck tag in the area just behind our house About 4,000 people put in, 24 tags, i guess it was good luck. Enjoy your hunt!

ACS What ever cal you decide on it is only as good as the optic,s you top it with.If you reload your own ammo work up a load that your rifel likes and practice. shoot at a lot of different yardages.I have used a lot of diffrent rifel,s my favorite is rem 700.I shoot a 300 ultra mag with a 150grn swift bullett.I do not recomend it because it does,e have quite a bit of recoil.
rattler

Ned Jr.":2ixgcid6 said:
Sorry Heritage_Farmboy but this time I have to disagree. I'd like to say use any caliber with knockdown exept 7mm mag. Load them any way you want, they look good on paper but you will chase alot of game. 7mm doesn't seem to deliver the shock it takes to put an elk down well. 7mm is to fast and just goes thru.

I had the chance to go elk hunting with one of my friends a few years back, so I went and I took my 7mm, my friend took his 270...both of the elk that we shot dropped right away...maybe you have had different experiences with a 7mm but I can personally say in my experience , a 7mm "can" put an elk down well...that's just my experience though

Calibers and location asside, he single most important part of getting ready for an elk hunt is physical condition. Youan never be in too good of shape for an elk hunt but it's awfully easy to not be in as good a shape as you think you are.

dun

Congrats Daisy!

Right now im walkign the driveway three times a day (3/4 mile each way) plus when i break something. lol.

I dont personally load my own shells, but know of someone that might help if I ask.

What is a good set of optics for a reasonable price?

Angus Cattle Shower":2vvvtqzv said:
Congrats Daisy!

Right now im walkign the driveway three times a day (3/4 mile each way) plus when i break something. lol.

I dont personally load my own shells, but know of someone that might help if I ask.

Start jogging the driveway with weights on your ankles. Any of the better optics from Leupold, Burris, or Nikon are really good and provide a lot of bang for your buck.

dun

dun":am0iwl0a said:
Angus Cattle Shower":am0iwl0a said:
Congrats Daisy!

Start jogging the driveway with weights on your ankles. Any of the better optics from Leupold, Burris, or Nikon are really good and provide a lot of bang for your buck.

dun

Once you get used to that, start wearing a back pack of some sort with a little weight in it, books, newspaper, anything, and add to it every week between now and when you go on your hunt. Also try to find a hill or two to walk / jog on, believe me walking up & down hills is much different than flat ground.

Good luck!

;-)

Miss Daisy":2idbuplz said:
I shot a cow with a .243 last year. Dropped and killed her in one shot. Don't matter the gun, just shoot him good. Elk aren't like deer, elk travel far and fast when they get moving. Its a right place at the right time deal. Congradulations on getting drawn too. I just turned 16 and got drawn for a buck tag in the area just behind our house About 4,000 people put in, 24 tags, i guess it was good luck. Enjoy your hunt!

Thank goodness I live in Texas and we don't have to draw.

The driveway isn't flat, but the hills arent huge either. lol. Ill go thru the pasture-there are a couple big hills there. lol.

I do the backpack thing already in oversized steel toed work boots with sand in them so they fit (dad's old ones), and I dont have weights. lol.

What about Bushnell? We're going to the ity in two weeks-ill look at all fo them and a gun then and there. lol

How do I find an elk herd?

Cowboy 2.0":1gcaosb7 said:
Miss Daisy":1gcaosb7 said:

Thank goodness I live in Texas and we don't have to draw.

For many areas, we do not either. The particular place we put in for is literally right behind our house, makes it much more fun because we know the country. Good luck on your hunts this year. Thank you all for the advice, i will follow it as well.

I usually don't reply to too many posts on here due to the fact that there are allot more people on here with more experience than I with cattle. However hunting I know well. I have hunted all over North America for big game with both gun and archery tackle. Elk are always a challenge and are a tough animal. No matter if you used a .50 BMG if you hit one wrong they are gonna take you on a chase. Settle for what you feel the most comfortable with. Anything .270 and up will do the job admirably. Don't try for hero shots at obscene ranges. Too much can happen from trigger pull time until impact. Put any well constructed bullet behind the shoulder and into the vitals and the elk is going down. Pick good optics. Rule of thumb is at a minimum spend half of what you pay for the rifle on the scope. 700 dollar rifle buy a 350 dollar scope. Leupold, Burris, Nikon are all safe bets. The 7mm Mag. is a fine elk round. I have never had to shoot one twice. I have also taken bears and moose with no performance issues in the caliber. As with all guns they are only as good as the bullet. If you do not hand load buy a premium cartridge as nowadays they are almost as good as ones you roll yourself. I like Federal Premium loads with 160 grain nosler partitions in my 7 mag for elk.

Elk like the dark timber at burns or cut over areas. Find the cover and food and you will find elk. Hunt down on them if you can and watch the wind. Good luck. Hope you get a big one.

Latest posts