Hunting dogs and cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

VtMapleGal":m5wiyhdz said:
Thats why its importaint to know the laws in your area about shooting animals harming your livestock. Here in vermont its legal to shoot anything harrasing livestock, any time. I do have to say though, that i have 2 redbone coonhounds, and they wouldnt think of chasing thier tail let alone my cattle. I do have to say they are TRAINED obedient dogs though. Both came from hunting stock, but i dont hunt them. I feel bad for your animals who were chased. Im sure they'll be spooked for a while. Good luck in getting reimbursed.

For your own sake never make the mistake of thinking YOUR TRAINED dogs will not chase livestock when you are not around. Expecially if they get to runnin with a bunch of others who are. I went to tell a good friend once that I had shot his dog and he told me point blank that his TRAINED bird dog was sleeping out back where he always was. I finally said then you won't mind then that there is one up in my orchard dead that looks just like him. We were not friends after that.

I called the vet at 6 am and told her to come back to treat the second calf again. I told her to bring the trailer or you'll be making a second trip. She had some place to be but she came out and put her down. She picked him up an hour ago. She says internal bleeding off a guess but will send me the paper work next week unless she finds something odd.

I was at the court house for his bail. The judge put him at $750,000 bail. He has 28 charges once the cops were done. Only 18 will stick I think.

Dropped off a CD of paperwork and pics for the lawyer. We had a 2 hour talk and says he can help me and it dose not look like it will cost me that much (right).

I got home and the animal cop, county investigator and the cop that shot the dog were watching TV and telling lies with the wife. The animal cop wanted to do his fallow up inspection so he could get me off his list. The investigator and cop were out because he fired a round and had to have an "investigation". There paperwork was done when I got there before they looked around. I did have to give a tour of the place.

I have 3 dogs.
One full size puddle that's a house dog, she has a 2 acre fenced in yard to play in. She wants to be on the couch if you're not playing with her and leave her in her yard for more then 5 min unless your out there with her or she will let you know you forgot.
Our 2 farm dogs only come out of there run when it's time for work or when we let them in the shop. There both black lab / long hair lab mixes so I have been told. There run is an acre of woods and an acre of grass. They have a 5' chain link fence with 2 strands of high tensile wire on top. I trained them to act as live gates, hold the cows off the equipment, and abundance training.

If any of my dogs are off our land without one of us, I want you to kill it, bag it, and call me. I'll pay you for your time you spent and any damages. I'll even pay you for the shell and time you spent cleaning your gun if you want it. I have made sure everyone knows this around me.

Had a couple omutts runnign aorund here and when they saw me the hauled out of here. I was asking aorund who owned them and a neighbor down the road said they were his. Then he brought me a box of shells and told me to use them on them if they showed up again.

Texas has strict laws regaurding dogs harassing cattle. Still have to be smart when it comes to shooting hunting dogs. One box of 22 LR, box of kitchen matches or a bag of Amdro in a feed trough can cost for years to come.
Lot of difference in a crap eater and a hunting dog when it comes to trouble that comes with one. You might be right it doesn't mean you won't be skinning frogs for a long time.

Caustic is right on. Check you laws.

I think, not positive though, that Texas has some thing about the dogs have to actually bite or grab the livestock. You can just shoot a dog for running the livestock. I may be wrong though. Will look it up later if some one else doesn't know. I know you can't just shoot them for coming across your place.

My male coonhound is 9 almost 10 years old and hasnt chased a cow a day in his life. As a matter of fact he wont even enter the pasture unless i go with him. Mostly i think the fence is an issue, but he just doesnt have it in him. lol, trust me he wouldnt have ever made a hunting dog. Bird dogs are trained to find and chase (until they fly up) an animal...im not saying my dogs would NEVER chase a cow, but when it comes to my cows, i know they are safe. Than again i know where my dogs are 100% of the time.
3waycross":26seau53 said:
VtMapleGal":26seau53 said:
Thats why its importaint to know the laws in your area about shooting animals harming your livestock. Here in vermont its legal to shoot anything harrasing livestock, any time. I do have to say though, that i have 2 redbone coonhounds, and they wouldnt think of chasing thier tail let alone my cattle. I do have to say they are TRAINED obedient dogs though. Both came from hunting stock, but i dont hunt them. I feel bad for your animals who were chased. Im sure they'll be spooked for a while. Good luck in getting reimbursed.

For your own sake never make the mistake of thinking YOUR TRAINED dogs will not chase livestock when you are not around. Expecially if they get to runnin with a bunch of others who are. I went to tell a good friend once that I had shot his dog and he told me point blank that his TRAINED bird dog was sleeping out back where he always was. I finally said then you won't mind then that there is one up in my orchard dead that looks just like him. We were not friends after that.

A good cow dog is the best thing since biscuits. But I've lead poisoned a few for partin out calves. My son is a highly regarded hog hunter around here. His dogs tuck tail and head for the trailer if I take them to the herd. They only hunt hogs. Haven't had any dual purpose that were worth having. Them dogs must have been sorry egg suckers if they went to catching calves. And they ain't much to brag about if a momma cow killed one of them either. I have a pretty high regard for another man's dog, but if he goes off catchin cattle on his own he needs to be removed from the gene pool.

YOu would be surprised D.R. There are actually people who don't believe in breaking their dogs off of cattle or what ever because they believe it takes the hunt out of the. :roll: Ain't that a crock, if they aren't smart enough to learn what to hunt and what not to hunt they aren't worth keeping.

My hogs dogs also duck their heads and look away when we get around cattle. IF they are on the ground they will come in right behind you and line up with their tails tucked. :nod: That's the way I like it.

I have had some success with (deer) dog hunters. I tell them that I have problems with coyotes and that I have traps out and I wouldn't want their dogs too get killed in a leg trap. Those are lies but it works better than telling them that the property is posted.

Caustic Burno":f5d55wlm said:
One box of 22 LR, box of kitchen matches or a bag of Amdro in a feed trough can cost for years to come.

That's the truth. I like to think of our farm as the Georgia version of the "Bermuda Triangle". Seems that things can vanish without a trace...

I know form being a kid. If you have a dog hanging around you put a bit of lard out every day for a few weeks in the same spot every time. When he's good and used to it stop for a day. Put out about a pound and they will be back and try to eat it all at one time. That will fix them most of the time; well some times it dose a bit more then fix it.

Talking about good cattle dogs a guy down the road charges me $60 an hour for him to bring his 4 up and fetch the cows for me. I need the help about twice a year when they forget there MOB grazers not a mad MOB of cows. If they spread out in 150 acres after taking out the temp fences it takes way to long to do it my self. The guy down the road brings up his dogs and in an hour and a half there penned up again. The last time he was out he was looking hungry and settled on a home cooked dinner; but he snuck out with the leftovers in a clean trash bag. We ended up feeding him dinner for 3 days till his wife got back home we felt it was better to feed him so he didn't waist way then have to get some one else that doesn't understand how our farm works.

mobgrazer":gavxv8xl said:
I know form being a kid. If you have a dog hanging around you put a bit of lard out every day for a few weeks in the same spot every time. When he's good and used to it stop for a day. Put out about a pound and they will be back and try to eat it all at one time. That will fix them most of the time; well some times it dose a bit more then fix it.

Talking about good cattle dogs a guy down the road charges me $60 an hour for him to bring his 4 up and fetch the cows for me. I need the help about twice a year when they forget there MOB grazers not a mad MOB of cows. If they spread out in 150 acres after taking out the temp fences it takes way to long to do it my self. The guy down the road brings up his dogs and in an hour and a half there penned up again. The last time he was out he was looking hungry and settled on a home cooked dinner; but he snuck out with the leftovers in a clean trash bag. We ended up feeding him dinner for 3 days till his wife got back home we felt it was better to feed him so he didn't waist way then have to get some one else that doesn't understand how our farm works.

Interesting. Haven't convinced anyone to give me $60/hr to gather yet. They pretty much pay by the day if it's an hour or 12 hours. If you ain't got good Florida curs and don't know how to rope your not first on the list of handy help.

Latest posts