Eliminating common bermudagrass pasture

Help Support CattleToday:

I've never heard of aything like this. I do all I can to eliminate everything except the bermuda. On a 1:4ac stocking rate, my cows stay FAT 8mnths out of the year on coastal/common mix pasture.

MF where in Tx are you located with that kind of stocking rate with the off and droughts we a have been going through for years, it seems we can not establish a stocking rate any longer.

cowboy43":2o0eyqbv said:
MF where in Tx are you located with that kind of stocking rate with the off and droughts we a have been going through for years, it seems we can not establish a stocking rate any longer.
West of Pottsboro, in Grayson county. Not all of the area is like this. All but about 40 of the 200acres I have was sprigged w/ coastal long before I came along. An annual spraying of P+D has done wonders keeping the weeds out and letting the bermuda really thrive. The bermuda usually stockpiles enough before the summer drought to get me through. I'm running 31 cows, 11 bred heifers, and 2 bulls. I didn't get a third cutting on the 27ac meadow so I plan to open that up to them after thanksgiving. Hopefully that will hold them another couple weeks before I have to start haying.

1982vett":at84ksla said:
vclavin":at84ksla said:
Roundup just makes bermuda grass "angry" :lol: Covering with asphalt doesn't work either - it will grow right thru it. Nasty stuff!!
Valerie
About the best "fertilizer" their is for common bermuda is a quart of roundup. Enough to kill everything else and reduce competition......*

*however, this is not a recommendation to try this. ;-)

Sure makes for a pretty first cutting.

Eliminating bermuda? Oh the blasphemy! :D

100_1891.jpg

100_1897.jpg

100_1889.jpg

Angus Cowman":2nsuw9y9 said:
Nice pics, Whitewing
where are you located? that sure is some nice looking country

ga.prime is correct, Venezuela.....north-central to be exact.

ga.prime":3958z5jp said:
Fine looking grass you have there, whitewing. Do you like "Edge of Seventeen" by Stevie Nicks?

Where are those little chin-scratching emoticons when you need one?

whitewing":38gblm0k said:
ga.prime":38gblm0k said:
Fine looking grass you have there, whitewing. Do you like "Edge of Seventeen" by Stevie Nicks?

:lol2: Thought that might have thrown you. That's why I posted the video.

ga.prime":1xyeos32 said:
whitewing":1xyeos32 said:
ga.prime":1xyeos32 said:

:lol2: Thought that might have thrown you. That's why I posted the video.

Guess I better watch the video. :oops: :D

Latest posts