Electrolytes

Help Support CattleToday:

Rancher6

Reaction score
I was reading at one time someone posted which brands of electrolyes are for acidotic and which ones are better for alkalotic conditions. I can't find it now can it??? Also is there an easy way to tell which condition my calf has without a blood gas??

As I understand it, scours cause dehydration which leads to an acidotic condition. Electrolytes provide hydration as well as restoring the body's important ions (potassium, etc.) required to maintain proper functioning of all systems, thus restoring the alkaline environment needed to sustain life.

msscamp":3sgenu19 said:
As I understand it, scours cause dehydration which leads to an acidotic condition. Electrolytes provide hydration as well as restoring the body's important ions (potassium, etc.) required to maintain proper functioning of all systems, thus restoring the alkaline environment needed to sustain life.

Yea, the electrolytes need to have bicarbonate in them to help correct the acidosis. Someone posted which brand had bicarb in them. I know I saw it but can't find it now. I use the entrolyte HE and it does but I noticed the resorb did not.

"Deliver" by AgriLabs has Sodium Bicarbonate in it.

Actually the pkg I have here is Deliver with Dialine and it says Dialine is psyllium polysaccharides treated with divalent ions.(whatever that means)

Latest posts