How often can u feed electrolytes?

Help Support CattleToday:

SDM":34pmey0z said:
regolith":34pmey0z said:
... the key is that additional water may interfere with milk clotting in the stomach...

What if you just added the electrolyte powder to the milk replacer, no additional water?
No, it will interfere with the milk clotting. The only electolyte powder I am aware of that you can mix in with milk replacer is Diaque. Otherwise you need to space it out at least 30 minutes.

Farmerjan, do you think I need to worry about coccidiosis if he ate good all day yesterday and never showed signs of lethargy since the day before? Just wondering because we are 1/2 hour from any vet to pick up corid. We don't treat for it yet on our farm but it's very possible he could have brought it with him. We are keeping him separate from our other cattle just in case.

You can also treat with Sulfa boluses. Do you have that? Like Sustain III
Edit: ALL cattle have Coccidiosis in their system. It only "bothers" them when they get stressed, like weather, moving to a new home, etc. I don't know, but I'm going to "assume" it runs high in bottle calves. They shed it in their manure, so your barn area/pen would be contaminated. If you plan to raise more bottle calves, I would suggest getting some Corid to automatically dose new calves to be on the safe side.

If he ate good and isn't showing any other signs maybe you won't need to treat. I would ask your vet. I forgot that you are north of the border and that your rules are different on medications. Here we buy corid over the counter. The medications that we are restricted on are any that can be feed additives. Don't know your rules on things like sustain boluses.

Yeah those rules are maybe for a good thing but they sure can be a pain.. we can't just bring every little ache and pain to town but so far we've had good vets that will prescribe from what our description of symptoms. I don't plan on getting any more calves right now. This guy will just have to drink a lot of milk! I'm slowly upping his intake of cow milk and today he got put outside in the sunshine much to his delight!

Yes, sustain is sulfa. So it would be basically the same as Jeanne said. I would watch him close and if no more symptoms then great; if you see a repeat then I would treat to be on the safe side. Can you buy another calf directly off a dairy or do you only have the option of a sale barn? I only buy directly off a farm now. Too many sick and dead calves from the sale barn. Seldom lose one that comes from a farm.

There are a few dairies around.. closest is probably 45 min away. I know one that's just selling off it's herd has very healthy calves, but I might just sit tight and wait and see if there's any chance for a beef calf from neighbors as those pay off a lot better. Calving is ramping up around here so might be something yet. Holstein does taste great tho if we want but it's always a little hard sending a pet to the freezer !

These two I got from a guy who I'm guessing buys from dairies and he takes them to Alberta to be raised. I saw his trailer stuffed full of babies and I have a bad feeling about getting from him again. I don't know how many dairies were represented in that trailer. :eek:

Latest posts