Electricity by water power

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone has done any kind of capturing or harnessing water power to generate electricity.
I have a spring that flows year round and its high up in the side of a hill, it fills a water tank a short distance below it and I run a 1 1/2 plastic pipe out of that tank to a water tank quite a ways on down the hill and the pressure is very strong coming out the end of the pipe. Looks like it could be attached to some type of turbine that would turn a 10k generator. Just wondering if it was doable or practical economically.

I hope someone answers cause I have some spots by a big creek and could use electricity there. I had electric run to a shed and it cost me 4k from the local power company. If I could have done something like what you are talking I would have been happy. I may try and go solar on the other barns... MAYBE I just need some lights in the other buildings.

My old trapping partner has a cabin up in the mountains in northeast Washington. It is miles from any power. He ran a pipe from a creek that comes off the mountain. He started with a 4 inch line and necked in down several times to get to a one inch line. This gives him a ton of pressure at the bottom. It hits a pelting wheel which runs an alternator that powers his cabin. I am guessing that he has 100-150 feet of fall in about 400 feet of line. I have seen it in operation but don't know many more details than that.

skyhightree1":2dmmulv8 said:
I hope someone answers cause I have some spots by a big creek and could use electricity there. I had electric run to a shed and it cost me 4k from the local power company. If I could have done something like what you are talking I would have been happy. I may try and go solar on the other barns... MAYBE I just need some lights in the other buildings.

Sky, if it's only lights you are needing, you can rig up an old B & S engine with a horizontal shaft to a auto alternator with a fan belt. Light bulbs will operate on DC power! I saw many a hunting camp with that rig up around here.

bbirder":i3scyx20 said:
skyhightree1":i3scyx20 said:

Sky, if it's only lights you are needing, you can rig up an old B & S engine with a horizontal shaft to a auto alternator with a fan belt. Light bulbs will operate on DC power! I saw many a hunting camp with that rig up around here.

Thats neat. I have never saw that before if I come across an old motor I may try that.

The beauty of the hydropower would be that you have a continuous supply of power 24/7 and would not need batteries to supply the power when you need it at night time, unlike solar.
Ken

If you want the bulbs to last very long, make sure you get 12V bulbs.

I know some have done this water power thing before--I remember Idaman talking about it when he was in Canada--in his long thread--now a sticky.
(RIP Idaman)

It isn't that hard. I rigged up an alternator and welded a fan to the pulley a few years ago and made a little stand so that the fan blades dipped down into the irrigation ditch. I charged a dead tractor battery with it. If I had more flow and a better alternator I'd do something with it.
I did find out since then that if you find a place that does sound systems for gang-banger cars you can get alternators that crank out twice as much juice with the same amount of input.

Dave":o14ahnoc said:
My old trapping partner has a cabin up in the mountains in northeast Washington. It is miles from any power. He ran a pipe from a creek that comes off the mountain. He started with a 4 inch line and necked in down several times to get to a one inch line. This gives him a ton of pressure at the bottom. It hits a pelting wheel which runs an alternator that powers his cabin. I am guessing that he has 100-150 feet of fall in about 400 feet of line. I have seen it in operation but don't know many more details than that.
I wonder how he dealt with frequency--or was it all DC?

Well, power basically is flow x drop (pressure)... if you don't have a lot of flow, you'll need a lot of drop and vice versa.. Banjo, from what it sounds like to me, a 10K generator would be WAAAY too big.. I'd look at 1000W max just from the sound of it... I looked into it for our place and we have a 2" line and about 100 PSI (220 ft drop or so) and I figured I could safely make about 1500W, and that's running something like 50 GPM.

Alternators can be used, but the problem with them is they electrical power to make power, and the typical alternator takes about 7 amps to energize, 7A at 14V is 100W just to energize the alternator.. in a bigger system using a 240amp (3kw) alternator it's not that much, but in a small system it's a whole lot. A permanant magnet generator will be more efficient for smaller applications, but they're a bit more bulky for the power they'll produce.

Cow pollinator... Yes, you can get higher output alternators, but they take more power to turn.

I think I've found some online water power calculators through google...
Things to remember with these calculators that there are friction losses in the pipe... the flow must be measured with a restriction at the end (like the nozzle of the turbine would be), and a pressure guage just before it. If the hose is completely open, there will be big flow but no pressure, = no power. completely closed is max pressure and no flow, again, no power... somewhere in between you will have a maximum of flow and pressure, which is where you want to be operating at.

You'll probably want to have at least 1 battery anyhow, and run a standard RV inverter to run everything 110V... that way you can run a skil saw, etc which will take more power than the turbine can produce continuously. If you want to run on 12V, you can get these new LED floodlights for trucks that don't take much power and D@mn are they bright... you could easily light up a reasonable sized barn with 100W generator and these lights if you had a battery that would charge during the daytime. If you want just 200W in AC, I think walmart, napa, etc all have cigarette lighter AC adaptors for laptops, etc that are only about $25, you should be able to run anything except flourescent lights on them with no trouble at all.. some CFL bulbs may work well, but can't say for sure.

The first thing you need to do is get some numbers... Get a pressure guage and see how much pressure you have with no flow, then open up a tap until the pressure drops about 25%, and see how long it takes to get a 5 gallon pail full (make sure the spring can support this flow).. from that you can figure out your GPM at a reasonable working pressure.

Postby Nesikep » Thu Mar 06, 2014 3:27 am

Well, power basically is flow x drop (pressure)... if you don't have a lot of flow, you'll need a lot of drop and vice versa.. Banjo, from what it sounds like to me, a 10K generator would be WAAAY too big.. I'd look at 1000W max just from the sound of it... I looked into it for our place and we have a 2" line and about 100 PSI (220 ft drop or so) and I figured I could safely make about 1500W, and that's running something like 50 GPM.

Yea you are right. I've talked to others about this and the downside is when you put a load on it....is where the problem lies.
I think I can do a ram pump at that same spot and pump water into a tank situated on a high spot and fill my water tanks.....I think that it is doable and reduce some municipal water bills.

With all this newfangled technology, you should be able to get elevation drop with just a cell phone.. might be a bit a rough number, but it would be a start